18.98°C Vancouver

News

home-sales-have-slowed-from-a-frenzied-pace-earlier-this-year-rebgv
BCSep 02, 2021

Home sales have slowed from a frenzied pace earlier this year: REBGV

The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says home sales have slowed from a frenzied pace earlier this year, but supply has dwindled and prices continue to rise. The board says August home sales in the region totalled 3,152, a 3.4 per cent increase from last August, but a 5.2 per cent decrease from this past July. The board says sales last month were about 20 per cent higher than the 10-year August sales average, but new listings were down 30.6 per cent from last August. It says the composite benchmark price for all residential properties reached one-million-176-thousand in August, up 13.2
BCSep 02, 2021

34 people have now been infected and one resident has died of COVID-19 at Victoria long-term care home

Eight more cases of COVID-19 have been diagnosed at a Victoria long-term care home where 34 people have now been infected and one resident has died. Admissions, transfers and social visits have been restricted since the outbreak at Sunset Lodge was declared last Friday after three staff members tested positive. The Island Health authority says most of the latest cases are likely a result of transmission before the outbreak was discovered. It's one of 16 active outbreaks in assisted-living and long-term care homes across the province, in addition to outbreaks at three hospitals.
BCSep 02, 2021

Two people killed in West Vancouver crash

A portion of Cypress Bowl Road remains closed this morning following a fatal collision that occurred shortly before 4:00 am.Tragically, this collision has claimed the life of two people. Members of the Integrated Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Service are currently on scene."This is an absolutely tragic incident," says Cst. Kevin Goodmurphy. "Our investigators are working hard to determine the cause of the collision, and we ask that people avoid the area for the time being."Cypress Bowl Road remains closed between Chippendale Rd. and Eagle Lake Access Rd. until further notice.
37-year-old-man-dead-in-surrey-crash
BCSep 02, 2021

37 year old man dead in Surrey crash

Police in the Lower Mainland are investigating two fatal crashes this morning. Mounties in Surrey say a 37 year old man has died following a collision between a tractor trailer and a passenger vehicle on Highway 17 just before 3 am. They say the cause of the crash hasn't been determined but impairment is not believed to be a factor. It initially appears that the passenger vehicle was pulled over on the side of the highway when it was struck by the westbound tractor trailer.
premier-horgan-expressing-gratitude-to-health-care-workers-after-protests-outside-some-hospitals-in-b-c
BCSep 02, 2021

Premier Horgan expressing gratitude to health-care workers after protests outside some hospitals in B.C.

BC Premier John Horgan is expressing his gratitude to health-care workers after protests outside some hospitals in the province. The provincial government will require proof of vaccination against COVID-19 later this month from residents participating in non-essential activities, such as visiting restaurants, gyms and movie theatres. Demonstrations against the government's approach on COVID-19 outside hospitals prompted Horgan to issue a statement in support of health-care workers, calling them ``the true heroes'' throughout the pandemic. Kathy MacNeil, president and CEO of the Island Health
216-wildfires-burning-in-b-c-as-evacuation-orders-and-alerts-continue-to-tick-down
BCSep 02, 2021

216 wildfires burning in B.C. as evacuation orders and alerts continue to tick down

The wildfire situation is continually evolving, and the information below is current as of 7 p.m. (Pacific time) on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021.Fires:Wildfires currently burning in B.C.: 216Since April 1, 2021:1,562 wildfires865,299 hectares of area burnedActive fires by fire centre:Cariboo: 24Coastal: 18Kamloops: 64Northwest: 5Prince George: 49Southeast: 56Resources:Firefighters and other personnel currently fighting the fires: 2,940Out-of-province firefighters: 455Helicopters and planes supporting ground crews: 119Evacuations:Evacuation orders: 17 (-1) Evacuation alerts: 49 (-19) Properties:Num
b-c-reports-785-new-covid-19-cases-and-two-deaths
BCSep 02, 2021

B.C. reports 785 new COVID-19 cases and two deaths

B.C. is reporting 785 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 166,853 cases in the province.There are currently 5,873 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 158,900 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 199 individuals are in hospital and 112 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.The new/active cases include:246 new cases in Fraser HealthTotal active cases:
transit-free-in-b-c-for-children-12-and-under
BCSep 02, 2021

Transit free in B.C. for children 12 and under

Public transit is now free for all children 12 and under in B.C., saving families money, increasing access to affordable transportation options and encouraging more people to use public transit.The free transit for children 12 and under program was officially launched at the Pacific National Exhibition fairgrounds in Vancouver on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021."I’m thrilled to be here to celebrate the start of free transit for children 12 and under," said Rob Fleming, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. "This is a landmark achievement for free public transit in this province and an impo
burnaby-rcmp-ask-for-public-assistance-in-identifying-a-suspect-that-may-have-been-involved-in-three-unprovoked-assaults
BCSep 01, 2021

Burnaby RCMP ask for public assistance in identifying a suspect that may have been involved in three unprovoked assaults

On Monday, August 30, at approximately 1:40 p.m., an unknown man approached a 25-year-old woman and wrestled her to the ground in the area of Edmonds Street and Canada Way. It’s believed the victim may have been followed for a short distance.The victim, who did not sustain any serious injuries, does not know the suspect.The suspect is described as: Tanned skin 5’816-22 years oldBlack wavy hairWearing:Black hoodieLight coloured jeans Black running shoesIn the early hours of Wednesday morning (September 1) in the Edmonds area, a similar report was received in Burnaby. The victim was not inju

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees