18.98°C Vancouver

News

rcmp-investigate-fatality-at-local-ski-resort
BCDec 20, 2021

RCMP investigate fatality at local ski resort

The Vernon North Okanagan RCMP and BC Coroners Service are investigating after a Vernon man died while snowboarding at Silverstar Mountain Resort on Saturday morning.On Saturday, December 18th, 2021, at approximately 11:20 a.m., the Vernon North Okanagan RCMP were notified that a snowboarder had been found unconscious in the Putnam Creek area of the mountain. The initial investigation has determined the man was snowboarding in an area of complex terrain that was closed at the time due to poor conditions. The victim, who was alone, fell into a ravine and was later discovered by a skier who noti
man-arrested-following-a-deadly-stabbing-near-the-metrotown-mall-in-burnaby
BCDec 20, 2021

Man arrested following a deadly stabbing near the Metrotown Mall in Burnaby

Homicide investigators say a man has been arrested following a deadly stabbing near the Metrotown Mall in Burnaby yesterday morning. A statement from the RCMP's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the man was picked up shortly after the attack, which was not random as the suspect and victim are known to each other. Police say there were also reports of several other ``serious offences'' in the same area at the time of the stabbing, but no one else was hurt and officers continue to investigate how all the events might be connected. The suspect in his 30s remains in custody and detectiv
b-c-extends-cap-on-food-delivery-fees
BCDec 20, 2021

B.C. extends cap on food delivery fees

The British Columbia government says it's extending the cap on fees charged by food delivery companies to help the restaurant industry through the COVID-19 pandemic. Ravi Kahlon, the minister of jobs, economic recovery and innovation, says the fee cap was to expire on Dec. 31, but it's now been extended to the end of 2022. The fee charged to restaurants by food delivery companies will remain at 15 per cent, while the additional cap of five per cent has been extended for other services, such as online ordering and processing fees. The original order was put in place on Dec. 22 last year under
coquihalla-highway-reopens-to-essential-commercial-traffic
BCDec 20, 2021

Coquihalla Highway reopens to essential commercial traffic

The Coquihalla Highway (Highway 5) has reopened between Hope and Merritt to essential commercial vehicles only following a month of extensive repairs.The highway was closed by multiple washouts on Nov. 14, 2021."The people who build and maintain roads in B.C. have a reputation second to none, and their response to the recent disaster has been remarkable," said Rob Fleming, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. "Ministry teams, maintenance contractors and hundreds of workers going flat out in challenging conditions have allowed us to reopen the Coquihalla Highway today, giving B.C.’s
british-columbias-new-covid-19-restrictions-to-curb-omicron-variant-come-into-effect
BCDec 20, 2021

British Columbia's new COVID-19 restrictions to curb Omicron variant come into effect

New COVID-19 restrictions ranging from audience capacities on large venues to the number of people able to attend indoor gatherings are in effect today.The health measures are scheduled to last until Jan. 31.Health officials say the restrictions, which also include the cancellation of all New Year's Eve parties, are being implemented over fears of the Omicron variant overwhelming B.C. hospitals.Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has said the Omicron variant is adding new and more complex challenges to managing the pandemic.B.C. reported 302 cases of the Omicron variant on Friday, up fr
b-c-reports-789-new-covid-19-cases-as-number-of-omicron-cases-rise-to-302
BCDec 18, 2021

B.C. reports 789 new COVID-19 cases as number of Omicron cases rise to 302

B.C. is reporting 789 new cases of COVID-19, including four epi-linked cases, for a total of 225,785 cases in the province.There are 4,313 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 218,960 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 191 individuals are in hospital and 74 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,399.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: oneVancouver Coastal Health: oneNorthern Health: oneThere have been 302 cases of the Omicron
govt-providing-up-to-one-million-dollars-in-funding-for-commercial-livestock-producers-affected-by-recent-floods-lana-popham
BCDec 18, 2021

Govt. providing up to one-million dollars in funding for commercial livestock producers affected by recent floods: Lana Popham

BC's minister of agriculture says the government is providing up to one-million dollars in funding for commercial livestock producers affected by recent floods to buy emergency food supplies for their animals. Lana Popham says the government is working in collaboration with the BC Cattlemen's Association and the B-C Forage Council to deliver the program and help farmers resume operations. Producers that are eligible for the program are being asked to contact the program partners to complete an application for funding. The ministry has previously reported that 630 thousand chickens, 420 cattle
small-earthquake-recorded-in-lower-mainland-early-this-morning
BCDec 17, 2021

Small earthquake recorded in lower mainland early this morning

BC's coast experienced an small earthquake early this morning. Earthquakes Canada says the magnitude 3.5 quake happened at 4:13 A-M in the Strait of Georgia, 43 kilometres southwest of Vancouver. It says no reports of damage have been made, and none are expected. The U.S. Geological Survey says it happened at a depth of 17.3 kilometres.
environment-canada-expanding-its-weather-warnings-for-much-of-south-and-central-bc
BCDec 17, 2021

Environment Canada expanding its weather warnings for much of south and central BC

Environment Canada has expanded its weather warnings for much of south and central B-C as strong winds and heavy snowstorms are expected to start today and continue into the weekend. It says areas of the central and north coasts could get up to 40 centimetres of snow, while Squamish, Whistler and the Sea-to-Sky corridor are expecting between 25 and 35 centimetres. Winter storm and snowfall warnings have also been issued for areas including East Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast and the Fraser Canyon, and heavy snow is expected in the southern Interior, Cariboo and the Kootenays this weeken

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees