15.37°C Vancouver

News

b-c-s-top-doctor-says-employers-should-plan-now-for-lots-of-sick-workers
BCJan 05, 2022

B.C.'s top doctor says employers should plan now for lots of sick workers

British Columbia's provincial health officer is advising businesses to put contingency plans in place to continue operating as up to one-third of their staff could be off sick with the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Dr. Bonnie Henry says private companies, schools and health-care sites must all prepare for a wave of illness by reinforcing safety protocols like physical distancing to protect as many people as possible. She says businesses that require employees to come into a workplace should stagger shifts and break times, use Plexiglas barriers and limit the number of customers entering the pre
a-pioneer-in-bcs-broadcast-industry-elizabeth-ann-laird-has-died
BCJan 05, 2022

A pioneer in BC's broadcast industry, Elizabeth Ann Laird has died

Elizabeth Ann Laird, a pioneer in B-C's broadcast industry, has died. Laird moved to BC from Ontario in 1967 and lived in the North Okanagan before settling with her husband and family near Merritt and investing in radio station CJNL1230, now Q-101, in 1994. Laird became the sole owner in 2016 and is credited with giving many broadcasters their start in the industry while she was involved with the station. The active community volunteer, business leader and longtime Merritt-area school trustee sold CJNL to Pattison Media last year. An announcement about a memorial service is expected later.
balraj-nijjar-charged-in-north-delta-stabbing-that-left-two-people-injured
BCJan 04, 2022

Balraj Nijjar charged in North Delta stabbing that left two people injured

On July 11, 2021 shortly after 4 am, the Delta Police were called to a disturbance at Gunderson Park in North Delta.Officers located two victims who had both been stabbed. Their injuries were serious, but not life-threatening. On December 17th, 2021, Crown Counsel approved two charges of Aggravated Assault in relation to the incident. Accused Balraj NIJJAR, 19 years old, of Delta has been arrested and has made his first appearance in court."This event was related to a conflict between individuals who are known to each other, and is not a random incident," says Staff Sergeant David Vaughan-Smit
man-charged-after-allegedly-threatening-a-grocery-store-worker-with-a-meat-cleaver-vpd
BCJan 04, 2022

Man charged after allegedly threatening a grocery store worker with a meat cleaver: VPD

Vancouver police say a 23-year-old man has been charged with one count of robbery after allegedly threatening a grocery store worker with a meat cleaver. Police say it happened yesterday morning at a grocery store in downtown Vancouver when the worker asked the suspect to put on a mask. It's alleged the man pulled the meat cleaver instead, threatened the worker and then left the store without paying for the groceries. Police arrested the man as he tried to hail a cab and he has since been released on bail and ordered to return to court next week.
two-men-face-numerous-charges-related-to-a-series-of-robberies-in-surrey-langley-and-abbotsford
BCJan 04, 2022

Two men face numerous charges related to a series of robberies in Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford

Two men, one from Abbotsford, the other from Calgary, face numerous charges related to a series of robberies in Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford. The alleged heists by the 21 and 22 year old suspects happened on October 2nd, 10th and 11th during break-ins at separate cellphone stores in Surrey and Langley and a pharmacy in Abbotsford. The 21 year old Calgary man faces a total of 11 charges including robbery and forcible confinement, while the 22 year old Abbotsford resident is accused of two counts of robbery and two of forcible confinement. Both were arrested on December 20th and remain in cus
BCJan 04, 2022

B.C. is reporting 9,332 new cases of COVID-19 since Friday

B.C. is reporting 9,332 new cases of COVID-19 since Friday. Health officials say a total of 264,181 cases have been reported in the province. The health ministry on Friday reduced the requirement to self-isolate after testing positive for COVID-19 to five days for fully vaccinated people without symptoms. It is encouraging people to wear a mask around others for an additional five days after leaving self-isolation. The ministry said people who haven't been vaccinated are still required to self-isolate for 10 days. It was also announced that visits to long-term care and assisted living fac
b-c-reports-six-new-health-care-outbreaks-as-active-cases-rise-past-17-000
BCDec 31, 2021

B.C. reports six new health care outbreaks as active cases rise past 17,000

B.C. is reporting 4,383 new cases of COVID-19, including 21 epi-linked cases, for a total of 251,054 cases in the province.There are 17,357 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 230,784 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 211 individuals are in hospital and 66 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.The new/active cases include:2,319 new cases in Fraser HealthTotal active cases: 7,940977 new cases in Vancouver Coastal HealthTotal active cases: 6,424501 new cases in Interior HealthTotal active cases: 1,713122 new c
city-of-surrey-will-be-immediately-proceeding-on-building-the-84th-ave-extension-after-the-b-c-supreme-court-decision
BCDec 31, 2021

City of Surrey will be immediately proceeding on building the 84th Ave extension after the B.C. Supreme Court decision

"The City of Surrey will be immediately proceeding on building the 84th Ave extension after the B.C. Supreme Court decision today that the City of Surrey is well within its rights to proceed." The Safe Surrey Coalition-led City Council approved this project in July largely due to the heavy congestion at 88thAvenue and King George Boulevard. For many years, this has been Surrey’s most dangerous intersection when it comes to motor vehicle collisions. The 84th Avenue extension will provide a safe, convenient and reliable alternative connection between Newton and Fleetwood that will alleviate pr
b-c-delays-return-to-class-for-most-students-until-jan-10-over-covid-concerns
BCDec 30, 2021

B.C. delays return to class for most students until Jan. 10 over COVID concerns

British Columbia is delaying the full return to classrooms in January to allow public health officials to assess the impact of the COVID-19 Omicron variant and give school staff time to implement enhanced safety measures. Education Minister Jennifer Whiteside says staff and students whose parents are health workers, as well as those who need extra support, will return to schools Jan. 3 or 4. All other students will return to classrooms Jan. 10. Whiteside says enhanced safety measures will include the cancellation of extracurricular sports and plans to control crowding at schools, such as thro

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in