24.97°C Vancouver

News

vancouver-police-identify-suspects-who-poured-maple-syrup-on-emily-carr-painting
BCNov 15, 2022

Vancouver police identify suspects who poured maple syrup on Emily Carr painting

Vancouver police say they've identified the suspects who threw maple syrup on an Emily Carr painting and glued themselves to a wall at the Vancouver Art Gallery over the weekend. Sgt. Steve Addison says an investigation is underway and officers will be speaking to witnesses, reviewing security video and assessing the cost of the damage.The Vancouver Art Gallery says in a statement that Carr's "Stumps and Sky" painting suffered no permanent harm.It quotes director and CEO Anthony Kiendl as saying the gallery "condemns acts of vandalism" towards works of cultural significance in its care, or in
kelowna-rcmp-officer-to-be-sentenced-on-may-29th-after-pleading-guilty-to-assaulting-a-nursing-student
BCNov 15, 2022

Kelowna RCMP officer to be sentenced on May 29th after pleading guilty to assaulting a nursing student

Sentencing has been set for May 29th for a Kelowna RCMP officer who pleaded guilty to assaulting a nursing student during a wellness check in early 2020. Constable Lacy Browning pleaded guilty to one count of assault on what was supposed to be the first day of her trial a week ago. Surveillance video released as part of a civil suit that has been settled showed Browning dragging UBC student Mona Wang by the arms face down along a carpeted hallway and then stepping on her head in the lobby of her apartment building. A Gladue report, which a Canadian court can request when considering the sente
drugs-and-weapons-seized-from-suite-on-agnes-street-nwpd
BCNov 11, 2022

Drugs and weapons seized from suite on Agnes street: NWPD

On November 4th at approximately midnight, the New Westminster Police Department Street Crime Unit and the Lower Mainland Integrated Emergency Response Team executed a search warrant on a property near the 300 block of Agnes Street. Police located from the suite both drugs and weapons. Six people were arrested and the investigation is ongoing. This search warrant was connected to a lengthy investigation led by the New Westminster Police Department Street Crime Unit, with the assistance of the Gang Suppression Unit, Patrol, and Crime Reduction Unit."Drug trafficking and weapons possession pose
repair-of-abbotsford-dike-breached-in-2021-b-c-flood-to-finish-this-month-minister
BCNov 11, 2022

Repair of Abbotsford dike breached in 2021 B.C. flood to finish this month: minister

B.C. Emergency Preparedness Minister Mike Farnworth says permanent repairs to a dike in Abbotsford that was breached by a swollen river during last year's catastrophic floods are expected to be complete by the end of this month. Farnworth says the provincial government has dedicated $1.6 million to the Sumas dike project, as he gave an update on recovery progress ahead of the one-year anniversary of what he called ``one of the most devastating weather events in the history of our province.'' He says 500 debris sites have been cleared and the province has also approved more than $41 million in
BCNov 11, 2022

VPD asks for witnesses to fatal collision

Vancouver Police are investigating a fatal collision that killed an 86-year-old pedestrian last week, and ask anyone who saw the collision or has dash cam video to contact investigators. The victim was walking in the south lane of East 2nd Avenue from Commercial Drive on November 1 at around 7:15 a.m. when she was hit by the driver of a Cadillac Escalade. She was taken to hospital where she died from her injuries. The driver of the Cadillac, a 49-year old man, remained on scene.Anyone with information is asked to call VPD’s Collision Investigation Unit at 604-717-3012.
victoria-man-pleads-guilty-to-misappropriating-investors-funds-must-pay-victims-77-000
BCNov 11, 2022

Victoria man pleads guilty to misappropriating investors’ funds, must pay victims $77,000

A Victoria man has pleaded guilty to misappropriating investors’ funds to pay for his own personal expenses and cash withdrawals. Randolph Michael Rochefort, 70, pleaded guilty on November 7 in B.C. Provincial Court in Victoria to four counts of theft over $5,000. As part of his plea, he must serve a conditional sentence of nearly two years and must pay approximately $77,000 in restitution to five victims.The charges against Rochefort resulted from an investigation by the B.C. Securities Commission’s Criminal Investigations Branch.Starting in 2008, Rochefort worked as a salesperson for a r
94-of-municipal-police-in-surrey-b-c-sign-vow-not-to-join-toxic-rcmp-union
BCNov 11, 2022

94% of municipal police in Surrey, B.C., sign vow not to join 'toxic' RCMP: union

The union representing members of the fledgling Surrey Police Service says its officers and civilian workers have "no intention" of joining the RCMP, should the municipal force be scrapped.A statement from the Surrey Police Union says 94 per cent of its members have signed a pledge to refuse to apply to, or join, the Mounties, if newly elected Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke makes good on a campaign promise to cancel the city's switch from the national police force to a municipal one.The union says it issued the statement after a media interview quoted Locke as saying she is working on a plan with t
mayor-locke-encourages-people-to-attend-one-of-the-remembrance-day-ceremonies
BCNov 10, 2022

Mayor Locke encourages people to attend one of the Remembrance Day Ceremonies

The City of Surrey is encouraging residents to take part in one of the various Remembrance Day ceremonies taking place across the city this Friday. Services will be held at Veteran’s Square at 17610 56A Avenue; at Surrey Centre Cemetery at 16671 Old McLellan Road; at the Whalley Cenotaph at 13633 Grosvenor Road and at the Royal Canadian Legion Crescent Branch at 2643 128th Street. They will occur between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. with the traditional two-minute silent tribute taking place at 11 a.m. Residents are encouraged to arrive early to find parking, or consider walking, biking or taking tran
nwpd-officers-arrest-suspect-after-convenience-store-worker-assaulted-with-weapon
BCNov 10, 2022

NWPD officers arrest suspect after convenience store worker assaulted with weapon

On November 6th at approximately 8:00am, New Westminster Police Department patrol officers responded to a 9-1-1 call from a convenience store worker in the 400 block of Columbia Street who has just been assaulted by an unknown man. The victim shared that when the suspect was spoken to about not paying for ice cream, he began to strike the staff member and brandished a knife.Officers rushed to the scene and located someone matching the suspect description exiting the Columbia SkyTrain Station. When told by officers that he was under arrest, the suspect attempted to flee. Officers arrested the s

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees