17.54°C Vancouver

News

three-charged-in-murder-of-abbotsford-couple
BCDec 17, 2022

Three charged in murder of Abbotsford couple

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has charged three men with the murders of Arnold and Joanne De Jong, from May 2022 in Abbotsford. Background: On May 9, 2022, at around 10:26 a.m., Abbotsford Police Department (AbbyPD) responded to a residence in the 33600-block of Arcadian Way at which time two adults were found deceased. AbbyPD patrol members confirmed the deaths as being suspicious and IHIT was called in to investigate. The victims were identified as 77-year-old Arnold De Jong and his wife, 76-year-old Joanne De Jong, of Abbotsford. IHIT continue to work closely in partners
bc-rcmp-notified-iio-bc-of-an-incident-in-burnaby
BCDec 17, 2022

BC RCMP notified IIO BC of an incident in Burnaby

The BC RCMP has notified the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia of an incident in Burnaby where one man has died.On December 16, 2022, at approximately 5:57 a.m., Burnaby RCMP responded to a call from Emergency Health Services regarding an overdosing man who had reportedly been in a physical altercation with an employee at a local business.When the man was being apprehended he began to show signs of medical distress. Emergency Health Services and Advance Life Support attempted to revive the man but he was pronounced dead at the scene.IIO BC is investigating to determine whet
cbsa-seizes-largest-amount-of-opium-to-date
BCDec 17, 2022

CBSA seizes largest amount of opium to date

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to keeping Canadian communities safe from illicit drugs. Today, the CBSA announced the significant seizure of nearly 2,500 kilograms of opium in Vancouver, British Columbia – the largest opium seizure to date for the CBSA.In September 2022, the CBSA Intelligence Sections and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Federal Serious and Organized Crime (FSOC) unit initiated an investigation into a potential significant importation of controlled substances concealed inside marine containers. On October 25, 2022, the CBSA’s Metro Vancouver
BCDec 17, 2022

WorkSafe BC reminding employers about their responsibility to protect workers from weather-related hazards

As the weather around British Columbia gets colder, WorkSafe BC is reminding employers about their responsibility to protect workers from weather-related hazards. That includes extreme temperatures, wet and slippery walkways, and poor road conditions. The organization says working in cold-weather conditions can lead to serious injuries if employees are unprepared. WorkSafe says sees an approximate 11 per cent increase in injuries caused by slips and falls between November and March, many of them resulting in serious injuries including fractures, sprains, and dislocations.
two-city-councillors-calling-for-a-metro-vancouver-snow-summit-with-the-threat-of-another-storm
BCDec 17, 2022

Two city councillors calling for a Metro Vancouver "snow summit," with the threat of another storm

City councillors in New Westminster and Surrey are calling for a Metro Vancouver ``snow summit,'' with the threat of another storm on the way. Daniel Fontaine of New Westminster and Linda Annis in Surrey want representatives from the province, Metro Vancouver, first responders, road maintenance contractors, and municipalities to meet and find ways to avoid the chaos caused by a snowstorm last month. The November storm led to crashes that blocked off major roads, took out power for nearly 10,000 BC Hydro customers and led to a plane skidding off a taxiway at the Vancouver International Airport
more-than-77-500-people-vaccinated-against-influenza-in-past-week
BCDec 13, 2022

More than 77,500 people vaccinated against influenza in past week

More than 77,500 people were vaccinated against influenza from Dec. 5 to Dec. 11, 2022, including 42,582 people who were vaccinated during the weekend’s influenza-vaccine walk-in clinic blitz. This was part of government’s efforts to support people and families with children to get vaccinated before the holidays. This effort resulted in approximately 1.6 million individuals, or 30% of the general population aged six months and older, having now received the influenza vaccine in B.C. From Dec. 5 to Dec. 11, 2022, more than 77,532 influenza vaccinations were administered to more than:9,016 c
icbc-applies-to-regulator-for-two-year-rate-freeze-on-basic-auto-insurance
BCDec 12, 2022

ICBC applies to regulator for two-year rate freeze on basic auto insurance

Premier David Eby says the provincial auto insurer is applying for a two-year rate freeze on basic auto insurance to help alleviate some of the high cost-of-living pressures on British Columbians. He says if the application by the Insurance Corporation of B.C. is approved by the provincial utilities commission, it will mark five years with no increases for the basic rates.The announcement comes as ICBC reported $117 million in net income for the first half of the 2022-23 fiscal year, alongside lower investment income and a significant decline in value for the insurer's equity investments by th
BCDec 12, 2022

BC Children's prepared to double-bunk patients during busy respiratory illness season

BC Children's Hospital has approved double-bunking patients in single-occupancy rooms as it tries to cope with an influx of patients with respiratory illnesses. A memo obtained by The Canadian Press says that while it's preferable that patients be in single rooms, two patients may share ``if required to provide safe care.'' The memo, sent Friday, says similar measures have been implemented in other years and any decision must be made in consultation with the hospital's infection prevention and control team. Last week, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the province was seeing a `
vpd-renews-appeal-for-information-about-drowning-victim
BCDec 12, 2022

VPD renews appeal for information about drowning victim

Vancouver Police have released a video appeal for new details about a woman who drowned in the waters off Spanish Banks in late September, and hope the power of social media may lead to information about who she was. "Someone out there knew this woman and loved her, but probably doesn’t yet know about her tragic death," says Sergeant Steve Addison. "Nobody should die in anonymity, and we’re asking anyone who sees this video to share it with their social networks so we can identify her and inform her loved ones." The woman – she appears Black and in her 30s, with short black hair and dis

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees