17.81°C Vancouver

News

speed-limiting-devices-to-become-mandatory-on-heavy-b-c-commercial-trucks
BCApr 03, 2024

Speed limiting devices to become mandatory on heavy B.C. commercial trucks

The British Columbia Transportation Ministry says commercial trucks above a certain weight will soon be required to be fitted with technology to limit how fast they travel on provincial roadways. The ministry says the "speed-limiter devices" will be mandatory on April 5 for commercial trucks weighing more than 11,793 kilograms and if they were built after 1994. An information bulletin from the Transportation Ministry says the technology will limit vehicles fitted with the devices to 105 kilometres per hour. The ministry says the new requirement stems from amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act an
small-drug-seizures-down-in-vancouver-post-decriminalization-police-say
BCMar 26, 2024

Small drug seizures down in Vancouver post-decriminalization, police say

Data from Vancouver police shows a "dramatic" drop in small drug seizures after decriminalization came into effect in British Columbia last year. The department says during the first nine months of the program officers did not seize any drugs under 2.5 grams, as is outlined in Health Canada's three-year exemption. It says all drug possession seizures, regardless of weight, dropped 76 per cent in the city compared with the previous four-year average for the same time period. The exemption began Jan. 31, 2023, and decriminalizes possession of small amounts of opioids, including heroin and fentan
b-c-warns-of-identical-government-payment-website-made-by-malicious-actors
BCMar 26, 2024

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

The British Columbia government is warning people about a scam involving its PayBC website, where an "identical fake website" is collecting personal and credit card information. The PayBC site gives residents a secure place to pay their bills or for services from the provincial government, but it says it has become aware of phishing attempts against users. A statement from the government says the two sites can't be told apart, although the website addresses are different. It says the site was created by "malicious actors" to steal personal and financial information. The government says in the
knife-wielding-man-arrested-in-vancouver-after-refusing-to-drop-weapon-police
BCMar 22, 2024

Knife-wielding man arrested in Vancouver after refusing to drop weapon: Police

Police in Vancouver say a man has been charged with assault and remains in custody after allegedly waving a kitchen knife as he advanced toward two officers at a busy city intersection. It happened Wednesday, around the same time police say another man with a knife was allegedly chasing people on city streets in the downtown core. That suspect has also been arrested and police say he's been charged with assault after allegedly slashing a 61-year-old man, who is expected to recover from his injuries. Police say they responded to a 911 call reporting a man waving a knife in the direction of pass
b-c-unveils-flood-strategy-adds-39-million-in-funding-for-flood-mitigation
BCMar 21, 2024

B.C. unveils flood strategy, adds $39 million in funding for flood mitigation

British Columbia has released a comprehensive flood strategy to help communities reduce risk and respond to extreme events. Nathan Cullen, minister of water, land and resource stewardship, says the province worked alongside local governments and First Nations to draft the B.C. Flood Strategy, which will be a road map to navigate climate events. Consultations for the plan began after the historic floods in November 2021 that swamped southwestern British Columbia. Cullen says the focus will be in four key areas: assessing flood risks with floodplain mapping, increasing communication with local a
early-ban-on-open-burning-across-northeastern-b-c-starting-march-28
BCMar 21, 2024

Early ban on open burning across northeastern B.C., starting March 28

Open burning will be banned across much of northern British Columbia starting next week after officials warned dry conditions could mean early wildfire activity this spring. The ban in the Prince George Fire Centre is earlier than usual, a move the BC Wildfire Service says is aimed at preventing human-caused wildfires, while protecting public safety from a "high grass fire hazard." An update posted to the service's web page says the ban will start next Thursday and is scheduled to remain in effect until mid-October. It prohibits any fires larger than half a metre high by half a metre wide in a
b-c-coroner-calls-inquest-into-2019-police-shooting-that-left-two-dead
BCMar 20, 2024

B.C. coroner calls inquest into 2019 police shooting that left two dead

The BC Coroners Service has called an inquest into a police shooting in 2019 that left two people dead, including the hostage officers were trying to save. B.C.'s police watchdog cleared officers of wrongdoing in the deaths of Nona McEwan and Randy Crosson in 2020. The Independent Investigations Office said in its report then that the RCMP's emergency response team entered the home on March 29, 2019, to rescue McEwan, who was being held by her partner. It said officers entered and found Crosson holding a knife to McEwan's neck and he had what appeared to be a gun in his other hand. The office
b-c-to-provide-80-million-to-help-farmers-cope-with-drought
BCMar 18, 2024

B.C. to provide $80 million to help farmers cope with drought

Unprecedented drought in British Columbia last year has prompted the provincial government to invest $80 million to help manage, collect and store water for crops and livestock. Premier David Eby made the announcement while inside a bell pepper greenhouse in Delta, B.C., saying says this summer's drought may be even worse than last year as snow levels remain "remarkably" low. He says climate change-related events, particularly drought, make it tough for farmers to secure enough water for animals, feed and crops, which makes grocery prices soar. The funding will be distributed through the Agric
woman-murdered-at-home-near-university-of-b-c-campus-two-arrested-say-police
BCMar 15, 2024

Woman murdered at home near University of B.C. campus, two arrested, say police

Police say two people have been arrested after the murder of a woman at a home on the edge of the University of British Columbia campus. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a statement that police were called to a residence on the University Endowment Lands near midnight Wednesday after a report of a woman in medical distress. Police say the victim died from her injuries, and a man and a woman were arrested at the scene in relation to what investigators called a murder. The statement does not identify the victim but says she is believed to be "associated to the residence" where

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees