21.18°C Vancouver

News

police-in-prince-george-stumble-on-biggest-drug-haul-in-citys-history-rcmp
BCAug 23, 2024

Police in Prince George stumble on biggest drug haul in city's history: RCMP

Mounties say that officers investigating a break and enter in Prince George, B.C., stumbled on what turned out to be the biggest haul of illicit drugs in the city's history. RCMP say the officers were responding to the break-and-enter report on Wednesday when they noticed a large number of counterfeit cigarettes on the premises. They say a search warrant was obtained, and investigators seized nearly 40 kilograms of illicit drugs, including suspected fentanyl, cocaine and methamphetamine, as well as about 120,000 counterfeit cigarettes and more than $500,000 in cash. Officers also seized more t
more-shelter-beds-for-people-in-victoria-street-camp-cited-by-police-for-hostility
BCAug 22, 2024

More shelter beds for people in Victoria street camp cited by police for 'hostility'

Dozens of new shelter beds are opening for people living on the streets in Victoria, including at an encampment where police escorts have been required for emergency responders. A statement from the Housing Ministry says that up to 72 new beds will be made available for people living on Pandora Avenue and elsewhere. It says BC Housing is funding up to 40 new spaces at shelters run by Our Place Society as well as 32 at a shelter operated by The Salvation Army. Victoria Police last month announced that firefighters and paramedics would only attend the 900 block of Pandora Avenue with a police es
homicide-investigators-called-in-after-two-women-die-in-b-c-balcony-fall
BCAug 21, 2024

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in B.C. balcony fall

Police in North Vancouver, B.C., say homicide investigators have been called in after two women died from falling off the balcony of an apartment building. RCMP say officers responded to reports that two people who had fallen from the building on Esplanade Avenue in the city's Shipyards area at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday. The two women were initially found suffering from injuries and police say they were later pronounced dead despite efforts by emergency personnel to save them. The Mounties say the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been called and will be working with the serious crime unit at
b-c-wildfires-holding-under-370-with-30-per-cent-classified-as-out-of-control
BCAug 21, 2024

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

The Calcite Creek fire in British Columbia's southern Interior is no longer considered a "wildfire of note," leaving three such blazes throughout the province. The BC Wildfire Service says two of those fires are classified as "being held," meaning they're expected to stay within their current or predetermined perimeters. That leaves the 1.8-square-kilometre Corya Creek blaze in the Northwest Fire Centre as the only wildfire of note continuing to burn out of control in the province, as the 40-square-kilometre Komonko Creek wildfire in southeastern B.C. has also lost the "wildfire of note" desig
eby-pledges-300m-towards-1-508-bed-student-housing-project-at-ubc
BCAug 20, 2024

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Premier David Eby says the province and University of British Columbia will partner to create housing for more than 1,500 students at the institution's Vancouver campus. He says funding will involve $300 million from the province and $260 million from the university. The 1,508-bed project will include five buildings ranging from eight to 18 storeys. Construction is slated to start in the fall of 2026 with spaces opening for students in 2028. Eby says the student housing project is part of the government's target of building 12,000 student beds by 2028. He says the project is also part of his g
b-c-film-company-fined-for-flying-drone-too-close-to-killer-whales
BCAug 19, 2024

B.C. film company fined for flying drone too close to killer whales

A Vancouver-based film company and its drone operator have been fined a total of $30,000 for operating a drone too close to northern resident killer whales. A statement from Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the fines follow an investigation by the department's whale protection unit. It says River Road Films pleaded guilty in July to unlawfully capturing footage by operating too close to a pod of whales "beach rubbing" on Vancouver Island. The department says beach rubbing is a "unique quirk" of the northern residents, which enter shallow waters near the shore, then brush against smooth pebbles
wet-weather-helps-fire-fight-in-b-c-s-south-while-the-north-remains-warm-and-dry
BCAug 19, 2024

Wet weather helps fire fight in B.C.'s south, while the north remains warm and dry

Wet weather is helping firefighters in British Columbia tackle some of the wildfires burning in the south of the province. An update from the BC Wildfire Service says the southern half of the province is seeing cooler temperatures with rainy conditions pushing inland from the coast and that the increase in relative humidity is helping ease fire behaviour. The statement says there is the potential for widespread thunderstorm activity across the central Interior, though any lightning strikes are expected to be accompanied by rain. In the north, the statement says warm, dry conditions remain and
the-costs-of-a-metro-vancouver-skytrain-extension-jump-by-1-9b-and-its-a-year-late
BCAug 16, 2024

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

The total cost of building the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain extension in Metro Vancouver has soared by $2 billion and the project has been delayed for a year. The Transportation Ministry says in a statement the budget of the 16-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain into Langley is now estimated at $5.996 billion, up from the original $4 billion projected. The project was to be moving passengers in 2028, but the ministry now says it is expected to be in service in late 2029, with the delays attributed to the "current market climate." The ministry says the project is being built during a time of “sig
b-c-court-orders-pro-palestinian-camp-at-vancouver-island-university-to-shut-down
BCAug 16, 2024

B.C. court orders pro-Palestinian camp at Vancouver Island University to shut down

Pro-Palestinian protesters who set up an encampment at Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo, B.C., have been told to pack up within 72 hours. The B.C. Civil Liberties Association says a judge in Vancouver granted an injunction ordering the encampment removed on Thursday, and that no further camps be established in the same area for 150 days. The university went to court against the protest following an Ontario court decision that granted the University of Toronto an injunction against an encampment there. The encampments against the Israel-Hamas war began popping up at Canadian universities

Just In

BCAug 20, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Charged in Connection With Two Grass Fires in Vernon

A 33-year-old woman has been charged with six serious offences in connection with two separate grass fires that occurred in Vernon, in B.C.’s Okanagan region, on Aug. 4. According to Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, the first fire was reported on Kammenz Road near Bench Row Road in the afternoon. About 20 minutes later, a second fire was discovered at Carlson Park. Following an investigation, police arrested 33-year-old Maria Benning Bear, a resident of West Kelowna, on Aug. 14. She is facing six serious charges, including arson, mischief causing property damage, possession of incendiary material
senior-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-translink-bus-in-surrey
BCAug 20, 2026

Senior Man Dies After Being Struck by TransLink Bus in Surrey

A senior man who was seriously injured after being struck by a TransLink bus in Surrey last month has died in hospital. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, was found seriously injured at the intersection of 128 Street and 96 Avenue at around 9:41 p.m. on July 11. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he later died while undergoing treatment. Police believe the incident occurred near a bus stop. The initial investigation has ruled out factors such as excessive speed and impairment as possible causes of the crash. SPS is asking anyone w
AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,
cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi