22.78°C Vancouver

News

work-stoppage-at-bc-ports-to-affect-800-million-in-cargo-per-day
BCNov 05, 2024

Work Stoppage at BC Ports to Affect $800 Million in Cargo Per Day

The shutdown at BC ports is expected to impact $800 million in cargo per day. The BC Maritime Employers Association announced that, in light of foreman workers going on strike yesterday, it has also suspended union members from work. Among the most concerned are business owners, who are still recovering from the disruption caused by the railway strike earlier. Additionally, the 13-day strike by port workers last year had halted billions of dollars in trade. Bridget Anderson, president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, stated that the latest port closures will disrupt the movement of $8
environment-canada-issues-weather-warnings-for-b-c-coast-mountain-passes
BCNov 04, 2024

B.C. sees strong winds along the coast, winter storm warnings for Interior highways

Environment Canada is warning of strong winds and heavy rain over much of coastal British Columbia and a large swath of the central Interior, while winter storm warnings are in effect for stretches of highway in the south. The weather office says gusts of wind could reach speeds of up to 90 or 100 kilometres an hour over southern Vancouver Island, including the Victoria area. It says gusts could jump to speeds of 110 kilometres an hour over northern Vancouver Island and stretching up to Bella Bella on the central coast. Winds were expected to reach speeds of 90 kilometres an hour over Metro Va
union-talks-underway-between-foremen-employers-to-avoid-latest-b-c-port-strike
BCOct 31, 2024

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike

Negotiations between British Columbia's port employers and the union representing foremen are entering a final scheduled day in a bid to avoid a labour disruption. Both the BC Maritime Employers Association and the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 confirm talks are ongoing with the help of federal mediation services. The current negotiation session began on Oct. 29 and was said to be extendable by two days, if necessary. The union, which represents about 700 foremen at the ports, has said if talks break down it has a mandate from members to strike that expires on Nov. 2. N
drug-trafficking-investigation-leads-to-charges-against-19-people-in-northern-b-c
BCOct 31, 2024

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.

Federal prosecutors have approved charges against 19 people, eight of them still at large, after an investigation into what police call a violent drug trafficking network in northeastern British Columbia. A statement from B.C.'s Combined Special Forces Enforcement Unit says two of the 11 people who were arrested remain in custody, while the others have been released with conditions as they move through the judicial process. It says the other eight, all men, are wanted on outstanding charges that include trafficking, possession of a restricted firearm and careless use or storage of a gun. The u
b-c-premier-david-eby-makes-first-public-appearance-after-winning-election
BCOct 29, 2024

B.C. Premier David Eby makes first public appearance after winning election

Premier David Eby addressed the media today for the first time since the NDP government took power in the province. Speaking at the Legislative Assembly building in Victoria, he said that the people have given a clear message that he and his government must do better for British Columbia. Eby expressed his gratitude and honor for the support given by the people. David Eby noted that the BC NDP is forming a third consecutive term of government for the first time in the province's history, and their goal is to establish a cabinet as soon as possible. He also said that he is not ruling out the po
possible-measles-exposure-at-airports-in-vancouver-toronto-and-fredericton-prompts-warning
BCOct 29, 2024

Possible measles exposure at airports in Vancouver, Toronto and Fredericton prompts warning

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control has warned of a possible measles exposure at airports in Vancouver, Toronto and Fredericton on Oct. 16. According to the notice, a passenger with a confirmed case of measles arrived in Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on Philippine Airlines flight PR16 from Manila at 5:30 p.m. PT that day. The BCCDC said passengers who were on the same flight or who were in YVR at the same time may have been exposed, particularly those who were in Terminal M around 6 p.m. PT on Oct. 16 and Gate B17 at 10:30 p.m. The passenger did not visit any restaurants or stores at
first-of-six-units-begin-generating-power-at-b-c-s-site-c-dam
BCOct 29, 2024

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam

BC Hydro says the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia has started generating power. The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the first of six generating units on the Site C dam has begun operations after completing testing and commissioning procedures. It’s expected that the site will be in full service by fall 2025, adding about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid. BC Hydro says the reservoir is now reaching more than 90 per cent full, with the water level at the dam rising by about 40 metres since late August when the filling proces
rcmp-seize-73-kilograms-of-cocaine-during-traffic-stop-east-of-sicamous-b-c
BCOct 28, 2024

RCMP seize 73 kilograms of cocaine during traffic stop east of Sicamous, B.C.

RCMP say a traffic stop in British Columbia's southern Interior led to the discovery of about 73 kilograms of cocaine in a vehicle. Insp. Lori Orstad with B.C. Highway Patrol says their preliminary investigation suggests the discovery earlier this month has "all the earmarks of organized crime." Police say officers arrested the 28-year-old man from Surrey who was driving the vehicle, and he's since been released with conditions and a scheduled court date. A statement from police says the traffic stop on Oct. 8 involved a roadblock on the Trans Canada Highway near Malakwa, east of Sicamous. The
wind-warning-for-b-c-s-south-coast-with-gusts-up-to-90-km-h-expected-overnight
BCOct 25, 2024

Wind warning for B.C.'s south coast with gusts up to 90 km/h expected overnight

Coastal British Columbia will see strong winds overnight with gusts that could reach speeds of between 90 and 110 kilometres per hour. Warnings from Environment Canada span the Greater Victoria area, the southern Gulf Islands, eastern Vancouver Island, southern parts of Metro Vancouver and Haida Gwaii. The weather office says most areas will see winds gusting up to 90 kilometres per hour before conditions are expected to ease Saturday morning, while winds over Haida Gwaii could peak at 110 kilometres per hour. The warnings come a week after an atmospheric river weather system drenched B.C.'s c

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to