20.63°C Vancouver

News

alberta-resumes-buying-u-s-liquor-and-gambling-machines
AlbertaJun 09, 2025

Alberta Resumes Buying U.S. Liquor and Gambling Machines

Alberta is buying American alcohol and gambling machines again, three months after restrictions were announced to combat U-S tariffs. Service Alberta Minister Dale Nally says the province's decision signals ``sets the stage for more constructive negotiations'' ahead of the renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico trade agreement. After U-S President Donald Trump placed heavy tariffs on Canadian goods and energy, the Alberta government responded in March by saying it would no longer buy American alcohol, gambling machines, or sign contracts with U-S companies. Other premiers at
alberta-surpasses-700-confirmed-measles-cases-as-new-public-alert-issued-in-edmonton
AlbertaJun 03, 2025

Alberta surpasses 700 confirmed measles cases as new public alert issued in Edmonton

Alberta Health Services has issued a new public alert for measles exposure in Edmonton as confirmed cases across the province climb to 710. AHS says a person with the measles from outside the Edmonton area travelled to the city's University of Alberta Hospital last Wednesday evening while infectious. Of the total cases counted this year, 21 are known to be communicable, and four people were in hospital as of last week. The provincial health agency has issued a standing exposure advisory for the hardest-hit south zone, where 520 cases have been confirmed so far this year. The Ed
AlbertaJun 03, 2025

Man wins three lottery prizes worth $2.5 million total in under nine months

Winning the lottery has become almost routine for an Alberta man after his third major prize in less than nine months. David Serkin of Lethbridge, Alta., won $500,000 last August in a Lotto Max draw. Serkin then won $1 million in a Lotto 6/49 draw in November. He's now won again, a $1-million prize in a Lotto 6/49 Classic draw in May that brings his total to $2.5 million. Serkin says in a statement that he's retired and a cancer survivor, and that he's been playing since Lotto 6/49 launched in 1982. He says he went to Hawaii with his wife after his previous lottery win and now
firefighters-safely-evacuated-after-getting-trapped-by-northern-alberta-wildfire
FeaturedJun 02, 2025

Firefighters safely evacuated after getting trapped by northern Alberta wildfire

Crews battling a fire in northern Alberta are now safe after losing radio contact and took shelter from a runaway wildfire that's inching closer to the community. A spokesman for Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says two teams of firefighters are heading to Slave Lake after losing contact while they worked to battle a blaze west of Fort McMurray. The ministry says access to the area has been restored and it is relieved that the firefighters were unharmed. An earlier social media post from Loewen says one group took shelter at the local fire station near Chipewyan Lake, while another h
alberta-government-extends-deadline-for-judges-investigation-into-contract-scandal
AlbertaMay 30, 2025

Alberta government extends deadline for judge's investigation into contract scandal

Alberta's government says it's extending the deadline for a former judge to investigate allegations of high-level conflict of interest and arm-twisting in health care contracts. Former Manitoba provincial court chief judge Raymond Wyant was expected to submit an interim report to the government today, followed by a full report next month. The government employee facilitating the investigation says the number of documents provided and interviews requested by the former judge means that initial time frame is no longer feasible. Deputy minister of jobs Chris McPherson says Wyant wil
alberta-woman-allegedly-released-from-jail-with-fake-documents-arrested-in-b-c
AlbertaMay 30, 2025

Alberta woman allegedly released from jail with fake documents arrested in B.C.

An Alberta woman who Crown prosecutors say was wrongfully released from an Edmonton area jail with allegedly fake release papers has been arrested in B.C. RCMP say Mackenzie Dawn Hardy was taken into custody this week by officers in Revelstoke, along with a 27-year-old man accused of being an accomplice in her release. David Joseph Wood has been charged with assisting in the escape of a prisoner, identity fraud and uttering a forged document. Both Hardy and Wood will be brought back to Alberta, where they are to appear in court at later dates. Crown prosecutors have said Hardy wa
rcmp-arrest-edmonton-teen-allegedly-connected-to-online-terrorism-network
CanadaMay 29, 2025

RCMP arrest Edmonton teen allegedly connected to online terrorism network

RCMP say they have arrested an Alberta teen because investigators believe the youth will commit terrorism offences. Mounties allege a 15-year-old from Edmonton was planning to commit offences related to the COM/764. They say it is a violent online network that lures youth and encourages them to commit sexual acts, self-harm and animal torture. Investigators say they have commenced proceedings against the youth by way of a terrorism peace bond. A peace bond allows investigators to monitor people who appear likely to commit a crime when there's no evidence of an actual offence.
canadian-doctors-group-challenging-constitutionality-of-alberta-transgender-law
CanadaMay 29, 2025

Canadian doctors group challenging constitutionality of Alberta transgender law

A group representing Canada's doctors is challenging the constitutionality of Alberta's legislation limiting access to medical treatment for transgender youth, arguing it violates their Charter right to freedom of conscience. The Canadian Medical Association says the court challenge is meant to protect the relationship between patients and doctors when it comes to making treatment decisions. The legislation was part of a trio of bills Alberta Premier Danielle Smith's government passed last year affecting transgender people. Besides blocking doctors from prescribing hormone therapy an
thousands-evacuated-as-wildfires-continue-burning-in-manitoba-saskatchewan-alberta
AlbertaMay 29, 2025

Thousands evacuated as wildfires continue burning in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew says 17,000 people have been evacuated from several communities and First Nations as he placed his entire province under a state of emergency late Wednesday over crippling wildfires, mainly in the remote north. Evacuation orders include all 5,000 residents of the city of Flin Flon, 630 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg, who were told just hours earlier to head south with their essentials. Kinew said when cottage owners and other nearby residents are added in, that number rises to 6,000. The premier spoke Wednesday to Prime Minister Mark Carney, who has agreed to send

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in