26.14°C Vancouver

News

edmonton-man-charged-with-two-counts-of-second-degree-murder-in-langley-deaths
AlbertaMay 05, 2026

Edmonton man charged with two counts of second-degree murder in Langley deaths

An Edmonton man has been charged in connection with the deaths of two people found inside a home in Langley, according to police. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said officers were called to a residence near 16 Avenue and 208 Street at 11:15 a.m. on April 27, where they located the bodies of an 18-year-old woman and a 33-year-old man. Police have not released the victims’ identities. Investigators have identified the accused as 33-year-old Craig Lefferty-Tucaro of Alberta. He has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder and was taken into custody on May 3. According to
alberta-separatist-group-to-submit-petition-for-referendum-on-leaving-confederation
FeaturedMay 04, 2026

Alberta separatist group to submit petition for referendum on leaving Confederation

A group advocating for Alberta’s separation from Canada is expected to submit petition signatures today to trigger a potential referendum on the issue. Mitch Sylvestre, who leads Stay Free Alberta, said the organization plans to deliver thousands of signed petition sheets to Elections Alberta’s head office in Edmonton. According to Sylvestre, the group had already surpassed the required threshold of about 178,000 signatures more than a month ago, after beginning its campaign in January. Under provincial rules, Elections Alberta must verify the signatures before any referendum question can
man-charged-with-first-degree-murder-after-two-children-found-dead-in-calgary-vehicle
AlbertaMay 01, 2026

Man charged with first-degree murder after two children found dead in Calgary vehicle

A 37-year-old man is facing two counts of first-degree murder after the bodies of two children were found inside a vehicle in Calgary, according to court records. Police have said the victims were under the age of 10. Their identities are protected under a publication ban. According to police, the man was arrested outside the vehicle on Thursday. Court documents indicate the children were killed on or about Wednesday, though the circumstances surrounding their deaths have not been detailed publicly. The accused appeared in court Friday morning. A bail hearing is scheduled for next week. The ch
AlbertaMay 01, 2026

Alberta privacy commissioner urges legal reform after alleged voter list breach

Alberta’s privacy commissioner is calling for changes to provincial law following allegations that a separatist group accessed and published the province’s official voter list. Elections Alberta says it is investigating a group known as the Centurion Project after an app linked to the group allegedly made public the names and addresses of nearly three million voters. According to the agency, official voter lists are only distributed to elected officials, registered political parties and authorized party representatives. The app was removed following a court order earlier this week. Electio
smith-welcomes-u-s-approval-of-bridger-pipeline-expansion-tied-to-keystone-xl-revival
AlbertaMay 01, 2026

Smith welcomes U.S. approval of Bridger pipeline expansion tied to Keystone XL revival

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says a newly approved cross-border pipeline expansion could significantly increase the flow of Alberta crude to the United States, following a presidential permit signed by U.S. President Donald Trump. According to a statement from Smith’s office, the permit authorizes the Bridger Pipeline expansion, described as a partial revival of the previously cancelled Keystone XL project. The expansion is part of a joint venture between Calgary-based South Bow and U.S.-based Bridger. Smith said the project could transport more than 500,000 barrels of Alberta oil per day
AlbertaApr 28, 2026

Evacuation alert issued for Draper, Alta., as ice jam raises river levels

An evacuation alert has been issued for the community of Draper in northern Alberta after rising river levels linked to a large ice jam raised concerns about possible flooding. According to a notice from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, approximately 140 residents of the unincorporated community have been advised to prepare to leave on short notice. Draper is located along the southern bank of the Clearwater River, about 12 kilometres southeast of Fort McMurray. Officials say a roughly 20-kilometre-long ice jam on the Athabasca River has contributed to a rapid increase in water level
measles-exposure-reported-at-grande-prairie-hospital-emergency-department
AlbertaApr 28, 2026

Measles exposure reported at Grande Prairie hospital emergency department

Alberta health officials are warning of a potential measles exposure at a hospital emergency department in Grande Prairie. According to an Alberta Health Services advisory, the exposure is believed to have occurred on April 20 and April 22 at the emergency department. Officials say individuals who were present at those times may have been exposed to the virus. Health authorities say people who are not fully vaccinated are at higher risk of infection. Symptoms of measles can include fever, cough and a spreading rash. Alberta Health Services is urging residents to review their immunization recor
AlbertaApr 28, 2026

RCMP seek public’s help locating stolen truck carrying two peacocks west of Edmonton

Police in Alberta are asking for the public’s help after a truck carrying two peacocks was reported stolen west of Edmonton. According to the RCMP, a 2005 Ford F-350 was taken from the community of Stony Plain on Sunday. Officers say the birds were inside the vehicle at the time of the theft. Mounties are asking anyone who may have seen the truck or the animals to contact police. No further details about the direction of travel or suspects had been released as of publication time. The investigation is ongoing.
AlbertaApr 27, 2026

Apartment fire in northeast Edmonton causes $1.1M in damage, injures resident and firefighter

A fire at an apartment complex in northeast Edmonton has caused an estimated $1.1 million in property damage and displaced residents, according to emergency response information. The blaze broke out April 20 at the Wyndham Crossing Apartments, where about 200 people live. Evacuating residents safely was a significant challenge for crews responding to the scene. One person was seriously injured in the fire and taken to hospital for treatment. A firefighter was also hurt during the response and received on-site care from emergency services. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees