18.19°C Vancouver

News

covid-19-15-new-cases-2-more-deaths-reported-in-b-c-today
BCMay 09, 2020

COVID-19: 15 new cases, 2 more deaths reported in B.C. on Saturday

British Columbia reported 15 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the provincial total to 2,330 positive cases of the virus. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says two people have died, which brings the death toll to 129. She says the two deaths are people who were residents of long-term care homes in the Vancouver area. Henry says the number of people who have recovered from COVID-19 has increased to 1,659, which amounts to 71 per cent of those who tested positive for the virus. Henry says on Mother's Day, she is asking families to honour their mothers by keeping them safe by avoiding close
trudeau-says-canada-will-not-pay-full-price-for-8-million-sub-standard-masks
CanadaMay 09, 2020

Trudeau says Canada will not pay full price for 8 million sub-standard masks

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada will not pay the full price for medical masks that do not live up to medical standards.About eight million of 11 million N95 respirators shipped to the government from China through a Montreal-based supplier failed to meet specifications, federal officials said Friday.Trudeau says the discovery speaks to the government's “rigorous verification system” overseen by the Public Health Agency of Canada.The prime minister did not name the price the government will pay for the sub-standard respirators, which are used to protect against the COVID-19 virus.
canada-1-512-more-covid-19-cases-reported-today
CanadaMay 09, 2020

Canada: 1,512 more COVID-19 cases reported on Friday

There are 66,434 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada. Quebec: 36,150 confirmed (including 2,725 deaths, 8,928 resolved) Ontario: 19,598 confirmed (including 1,540 deaths, 13,990 resolved) Alberta: 6,098 confirmed (including 115 deaths, 4,020 resolved) British Columbia: 2,315 confirmed (including 127 deaths, 1,579 resolved) Nova Scotia: 1,008 confirmed (including 46 deaths, 722 resolved) Saskatchewan: 544 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 355 resolved) Manitoba: 273 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 247 resolved), 11 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 261 confirmed (including 3 dea
covid-19-punjab-govt-cancels-class-10th-exams-new-strategy-to-promote-students
IndiaMay 09, 2020

COVID-19: Punjab govt cancels class 10th exams, new strategy to promote students

In view of the COVID-19 situation in the state, Punjab government has canceled the class 10th exams saying that students will be promoted based on their performance in pre-Board exams."Class X students under Punjab School Education Board will not have to take any exams and will be promoted on basis of their performance in pre-Board exams," said Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.The state government has also decided to promote students from classes 5th to 9th. "The state government has decided to promote all students of Classes V to X under Punjab School Education system to next class without any
who-needs-1-7-billion-to-fund-its-response-efforts-for-covid-19
WorldMay 08, 2020

WHO needs $1.7 billion to fund its response efforts for COVID-19

The head of the World Health Organization says the agency needs $1.7 billion to fund its response efforts for COVID-19 for the rest of the year, and that it's about $1.3 billion short. Last month, U.S. President Donald Trump announced he was suspending funding to the U.N. health agency, saying WHO botched its response to the coronavirus pandemic and was acting as a public relations agency for China. WHO said previously it was conducting an assessment of what the loss of U.S. funding would mean for its operations. In a press briefing on Friday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said WHO's C
canadas-arts-and-culture-organizations-getting-a-clearer-picture-on-divide-of-500-million-support
CanadaMay 08, 2020

Canada's arts and culture organizations getting a clearer picture on divide of $500 million support

Canada's arts and culture organizations are getting a clearer picture of how the federal government plans to divide 500 million dollars of COVID-19 support. Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault says the temporary relief plan aims to keep Canada's arts, culture and sports infrastructure intact through the pandemic. He says nearly 327-million dollars will be handed out in the initial stages, while the remainder will be ``assessed based on needs.'' The television and film industry will receive 116-million-dollars, through the Canada Media Fund and Telefilm Canada.
translink-suspends-previously-announced-layoffs-and-service-reductions
BCMay 08, 2020

TransLink suspends previously announced layoffs and service reductions

People in Metro Vancouver can rest assured that they will be able to get back to work as the Province of B.C. and TransLink announced their commitment to ensure transit service is available as British Columbians safely restart the provinceand its economy in the coming weeks and months. The Province and TransLink are working on a comprehensive solution to address the major financial impacts that TransLink, like many transit agencies across the country, has incurred due to the COVID-19 pandemic.Given the progress in these discussions, TransLink and its operating companies will suspend the servic
former-n-s-guard-faces-13-charges-including-sex-assaults-at-womens-prison
CanadaMay 08, 2020

Former N.S. guard faces 13 charges including sex assaults at women's prison

A year-long police investigation has resulted in 13 criminal charges against a former correctional officer whose alleged assaults of inmates at a federal prison for women in Nova Scotia are also the subject of a civil lawsuit. Truro police say Brian Wilson faces six sexual assault charges, six charges of breach of trust and one charge of communication for the purpose of obtaining sexual services.Police say they received a complaint in March 2019 alleging inappropriate relationships between Wilson and several female inmates at the Nova Institution for Women in Truro, N.S.They say Wilson has bee
huge-job-losses-in-b-c-indicate-a-hard-road-ahead-carole-james
BCMay 08, 2020

Huge job losses in B.C. indicate a 'hard road ahead': Carole James

British Columbia Finance Minister Carole James says she doesn't want to sugar coat what will be a hard road ahead as labour force figures show the province lost a quarter of a million jobs in April. Combined with jobless figures in March, almost 400,000 people were unemployed.James says nearly half of the job losses were in food services and the wholesale and retail sectors.B.C.'s unemployment rate jumped to 11.5 per cent in April, but remains below the national rate of 13 percent. James says it's too early to say what impact the COVID-19 pandemic will have on B.C.'s budget, but her quarterly

Just In

surrey-pics-ceo-satbir-cheema-attacked-outside-office-in-broad-daylight
BCAug 18, 2025

Surrey: PICS CEO Satbir Cheema attacked outside office in broad daylight

The Progressive Intercultural Community Services in Surrey, also known as PICS Society, has informed of the attack on its President and CEO Satbir Cheema. The incident took place on August 11 when Cheema was leaving the office at around 5.30pm. A white pickup truck approached Cheema’s vehicle and a person got out from inside and attacked Cheema with a substance similar to bear spray or pepper spray. However, Cheema became suspicious of the person who got out of the truck and moved away from him and was able to protect himself from the spray by hiding behind his vehicle. Surveillance footage
vintage-cars-attract-many-to-the-old-town-ladner-car-and-quilt-show
BCAug 18, 2025

Vintage cars attract many to the Old Town Ladner car and quilt show

This weekend, the 5th annual Old Town Ladner Car and Quilt Show was held in Ladner on Sunday. The participants started arriving with their vintage vehicles at around 8 a.m. on Delta Street in Ladner, between Chisholm Street and Bridge Street. Owners of vintage vehicles came with their families and friends to be a part of this event, and people who came to see the vehicles were also seen chatting with the owners of these vehicles. People arriving at the event also asked questions to the vehicle owners regarding the maintenance of the vehicles and people could also be seen taking pictures with t
england-cricket-star-inspires-young-cricketers-during-free-cricket-clinic-in-surrey
BCAug 18, 2025

England cricket star inspires young cricketers during free cricket clinic in Surrey

More than 100 young cricketers and young children eager to learn the ropes of the game gathered at West Newton Community Park in Surrey this past Saturday during a free one-day cricket clinic. The occasion was special as former England international cricketer Liam Plunkett was present to provide training to these cricket learners. He was accompanied by South African-American cricketer Corné Dry, as well as international player of the Canadian women's cricket team Mannat Hundal. The Young Wickets program in Canada was launched by TD Bank with the aim of contributing to the growth of the game
trump-arrives-in-alaska-talks-with-putin-on-ukraine-war
WorldAug 15, 2025

Trump arrives in Alaska, talks with Putin on Ukraine war

US President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin are holding talks on the Ukraine war in Anchorage, Alaska's largest city. The meeting is taking place behind closed doors. Trump waited on the plane for about half an hour for Putin to arrive in Alaska. Putin is in the US after 10 years. He was welcomed by a red carpet at the airport. The two leaders were initially expected to meet privately, but now senior American and Russian officials have also joined them. Volodymyr Zelensky, who was not invited to the meeting, says Ukraine trusts the US but there is no indication that Russia
be-safe-around-tracks-and-trains
BCAug 15, 2025

White Rock RCMP appeals to be safe around tracks and trains

White Rock RCMP is reminding the public that trains can move without warning, stay off the tracks, follow signals and use designated crossings. On the evening of August 13, around 7:15 p.m., White Rock RCMP responded to a train stopped blocking the crossing near the pier head. While the train was stationary, some pedestrians, including parents with children crawled under it or walked along the tracks instead of using the Balsam Street crossing. This is extremely dangerous. A stopped train can move without warning, and anyone underneath or on the tracks is at serious risk of injury or death. Po