14.64°C Vancouver

News

at-least-one-dead-several-injured-in-avalanche-in-southeastern-b-c
BCMar 02, 2023

At least one dead, several injured in avalanche in southeastern B.C.

RCMP confirm at least one person has been killed in an avalanche in southeastern British Columbia, about 150 kilometres southwest of Banff, Alta.Cpl. James Grandy says several other people among a group of heli-skiers were hurt when the avalanche hit near the B.C. community of Invermere.A statement from the B.C. Emergency Health Service says it was informed about the avalanche just before noon on Wednesday.The service sent four ambulances to Invermere to meet incoming helicopters and four patients were taken to hospital, but their conditions were not released.Grandy says he can't confirm how m
b-c-to-invest-150-million-to-upgrade-911-emergency-communications-system
BCMar 02, 2023

B.C. to invest $150-million to upgrade 911 emergency communications system

The provincial government is providing $150 million to upgrade B.C's 911 emergency communications system. Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Mike Farnworth, says the money will be used to help local governments shift to Next Generation 911. $90 million will fund technological upgrades at E-Comm, which handles almost all of B.C's 911 calls and the rest of the money will go to the Union of B.C. Municipalities to cover staffing, training and quality assurance costs. Next Generation 911 is a countrywide emergency communications network that accepts all types of data, including real t
trtrtrt
AlbertaMar 02, 2023

Appeal court increases prison time for Edmonton club promoter in sex assault case

Alberta's top court has increased the sentence of a former club promoter convicted of sexually assaulting several women to 11 years. Matthew McKnight was sentenced to eight years after he was convicted in 2020 of assaulting five women in Edmonton between 2010 and 2016. The Crown asked last month that the Court of Appeal give McKnight a sentence of 15 years, arguing the assaults were premeditated. The Crown had originally asked at trial that McKnight serve 22 1/2 years. Court heard that McKnight offered alcohol to his victims, who were between the ages of 18 and 22, then assaulted them at his d
10-7-property-tax-hike-means-council-set-to-invest-in-vancouvers-future-mayor
BCMar 01, 2023

10.7% property tax hike means council set to invest in Vancouver's future : Mayor

Property taxes in Vancouver will jump by nearly 11 per cent this year after city councillors approved a $1.97 billion operating budget for 2023.Council voted Tuesday to pass the budget which contains a property tax increase of 10.7 per cent, one per cent higher than the hike proposed last month and more than double the five per cent amount put forward by staff last November. A statement from the city says that it means average increases of $549 for business properties, $326 for single-family homes and $125 for condominiums, although the assessed value of each property will determine the specif
4-2-billion-deficit-forecast-as-b-c-s-budget-announces-funding-for-new-housing-and-health-care-spending
BCMar 01, 2023

$4.2-billion deficit forecast as B.C.’s budget announces funding for new housing and health-care spending

B.C. Finance Minister Katrine Conroy while presenting the budget today said that her budget was addressing affordability issues and now was the time to bring in more relief for renters.The highlights of the 2023 British Columbia budget presented on Tuesday include:$6.4 billion in new health spending, including $2.6 billion for health services such as cancer care, $1.1 billion to attract and retain family doctors, and more than $1 billion for mental health and addictions services. There’s also $875 million in 2023-2024 for COVID-19 measures.$4.2 billion in new housing funding, including $1.7
northwest-territories-pausing-covid-19-vaccines-for-children-after-doses-expire
CanadaFeb 28, 2023

Northwest Territories pausing COVID-19 vaccines for children after doses expire

The Northwest Territories government says COVID-19 vaccines for children age six months to five years will be temporarily unavailable until a new shipment arrives in Canada.The territory says its current inventory of Moderna's Spikevax infant pediatric vaccine will soon expire.That vaccine will be available in the Northwest Territories until March 8.The territory says there will then be a gap of four to six weeks until a new supply is available for distribution.While Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine is also available for children in this age range, the territory says it does not have that va
live-explosive-device-safely-removed-from-busy-kelowna-b-c-shopping-area
BCFeb 28, 2023

Live explosive device safely removed from busy Kelowna, B.C., shopping area

Traffic is back to normal through central Kelowna, B.C., after RCMP detonated an explosive device found near a busy route in the Okanagan city.A stretch of Highway 97N, also known as Harvey Avenue, was closed in both directions for more than seven hours on Monday.Police say a suspicious package was spotted at around noon and the highway, which runs past restaurants, businesses and busy malls, was closed as a precaution.A bomb disposal unit was sent from Vancouver to assist.It arrived shortly before 6 p.m. and detonated the device about an hour later.RCMP say more information is expected later
conservative-ndp-leaders-suspend-use-of-tiktok-video-app-as-house-brings-in-own-ban
CanadaFeb 28, 2023

Conservative, NDP leaders suspend use of TikTok video app as House brings in own ban

Some Canadian politicians have started deactivating their TikTok accounts after the federal government decided to ban the app from government-issued devices.Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has already suspended his use of the TikTok video app and a spokesman says all members of caucus will do the same.NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he plans to step away from the social media platform, although did not say whether all of his MPs would follow suit.The House of Commons is also prohibiting the installation or use of the app on its managed devices beginning Friday.Treasury Board President Mona
more-than-1-350-prohibited-weapons-linked-to-chilliwack-b-c-homes-seized
BCFeb 27, 2023

More than 1,350 prohibited weapons linked to Chilliwack, B.C., homes seized

Canada Border Services Agency says it has seized more than 1,350 prohibited weapons and firearms linked to residences in Chilliwack, B.C. A statement from the agency says parcels imported from China using a false declaration were intercepted at Vancouver International Airport last month. In late January, the agency says an unnamed Chilliwack resident was arrested for suspected offences under the Customs Act and a number of prohibited weapons and firearms were found during the arrest. The agency says more prohibited weapons were also found at a Chilliwack home the day after the arrest. It says

Just In

carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern
CanadaMay 22, 2026

China’s foreign minister to visit Canada next week amid improving bilateral ties

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is scheduled to visit Canada from May 28 to 30 in what officials describe as a step toward strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between the two countries. The visit will mark the first trip to Canada by a Chinese foreign minister in nearly a decade. Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said relations between China and Canada have recently improved and that both countries are working toward what he described as a “new type of strategic partnership.” According to the Chinese foreign ministry, Beij
alberta-voters-to-weigh-referendum-question-on-provinces-future-in-canada-on-oct-19-says-premier-smith
FeaturedMay 22, 2026

Alberta voters to weigh referendum question on province’s future in Canada on Oct. 19, says Premier Smith

Albertans will take part in a province-wide referendum on Oct. 19 that will ask voters to weigh in on Alberta’s future relationship with Canada, Premier Danielle Smith announced Thursday evening during a televised address. Smith said the provincial government plans to include a new “blended question” on the ballot aimed at reflecting the views of both groups advocating for Alberta to remain within Canada and those supporting greater sovereignty or separation. She said the wording was developed with input from the pro-Canada group Forever Canadian and the separatist group Stay Free Albert
poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate