18°C Vancouver

Oct 15, 2024 1:49 PM - Connect Newsroom - Debby Rai with files from The Canadian Press

Another water main break in Calgary leaves homes without supply, officials say not linked to June rupture

Share On
water-main-break-near-bowness-road-in-calgary
A massive water main supplying 60 per cent of the drinking water for Calgary ruptured June 5, and Calgarians were urged to cut their indoor water use by 25 per cent amid a state of local emergency.

City officials in Calgary are working to repair a new water main break that has left several homes and businesses without supply, though they stress the incident is not related to the major feeder main rupture that caused widespread restrictions earlier this year.

Ryan Kidd, Calgary’s deputy director of water services, said the break occurred on a smaller 250-millimetre cast-iron distribution line near Bowness Road and 51 Street Northwest. The problem was first detected Sunday night when water began bubbling to the surface.

Crews immediately shut down the affected line and began repairs. Kidd said the city expects to restore water within 48 hours for most affected customers.

The latest incident comes just months after a June 5 rupture in a massive feeder main that supplied nearly 60 per cent of Calgary’s drinking water, forcing the city into months of emergency restrictions. Repairs on that line and subsequent breaks extended until late September.

Kidd added that the recently damaged pipe was installed in 1959, noting that Calgary typically experiences more than 200 water main breaks each year, many involving older infrastructure.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News