25.04°C Vancouver

Dec 14, 2021 1:13 AM - Connect News

VPD traffic blitz targets unsafe limos, party buses

Share On
vpd-traffic-blitz-targets-unsafe-limos-party-buses
Vancouver Police took seven limos and party buses off the road, and recommended thousands of dollars in fines during a weekend safety blitz. (Photo - Vancouver Police/Twitter)

Vancouver Police took seven limos and party buses off the road, and recommended thousands of dollars in fines during a weekend safety blitz.

"We always encourage people to plan a ride home when they go out to celebrate, and we trust that people operating limos and party buses will do everything they can to keep people safe," says Sergeant Steve Addison. "Sadly, many of the vehicles inspected were in appalling shape or were being driven in a dangerous way."

Officers from VPD’s Traffic Section examined eight vehicles – three party buses and five limousines – on Friday and Saturday night. All but one was taken out of service after officers identified major safety concerns, ranging from inoperable emergency exits and open liquor to broken seatbelts and missing emergency brakes.

In one case, investigators discovered seats being propped up by a two-inch piece of wood.

In another case, officers found 27 teenagers crammed inside a party bus with a dance floor. The bus had been hired to take the teens downtown for a 17-year-old’s birthday party. VPD officers are now recommending 27 counts of failing to provide a chaperone for passengers under 19, allowing open liquor in a vehicle, and operating with too many passengers.

"Everyone using the road gets put in danger when vehicle operators cut corners or flout safety regulations," adds Sergeant Addison. "Sadly, people who paid good money to have a safe night out were forced to find another way home."

Latest news

BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa
carney-speaks-with-mexican-president-sheinbaum-on-trade-cusma-and-wildfire-cooperation
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney speaks with Mexican President Sheinbaum on trade, CUSMA and wildfire cooperation

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to discuss bilateral trade relations and ways to strengthen trade across North America. During the conversation, Carney thanked Sheinbaum for Mexico’s support in Canada’s wildfire response, including the deployment of more than 400 firefighters and support personnel. The two leaders also discussed ongoing developments affecting the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), stressing the importance of advancing the agreement to protect businesses and workers and provide greater stability in trade. Carney
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Advance Voting for 3 Federal By-Elections Begins Friday in Canada

Advance voting for three federal by-elections in Canada is set to begin Friday. According to Elections Canada, advance voting will take place for four consecutive days, from Friday through Monday, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The by-elections are being held in the federal ridings of North Vancouver–Capilano in British Columbia, Beaches–East York in Toronto, and Chicoutimi–Le Fjord in Quebec. Election Day for all three ridings is scheduled for August 31. The three by-elections are part of a series of federal by-elections being held across Canada this year. Earlier, on April 13, two federal b
WorldAug 20, 2026

43 Dead, 16 Rescued After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children. Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43. Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 peo
BCAug 20, 2026

Garbage-Dumping Videos Go Viral in Abbotsford, Police Launch Investigation

Police in Abbotsford have launched an investigation after two separate videos showing garbage being dumped in a waterway and a local park went viral on social media. The two incidents are believed to have occurred in late July. In one video, a woman is seen dumping garbage at Mill Lake Park, while another video shows her dumping garbage near Bluejay Elementary School. According to Sgt. Paul Walker, police had not received any reports about the incidents before the videos went viral. However, after the videos were widely shared, around 30 people contacted or tagged the police department, provid

Related News