4.95°C Vancouver

Feb 28, 2022 8:32 PM - Connect News

VPD seeks witnesses, victims to violent attacks

Share On

Vancouver Police are appealing for victims and witnesses, after a 38-year-old man allegedly attacked at least five women and caused thousands of dollars in property damage during a 40-minute crime spree in Vancouver’s Fairview neighbourhood Saturday afternoon.

"Once again, these attacks appear completely unprovoked, and they must have been terrifying for everyone involved," says Constable Tania Visintin. "We believe there are more victims, and likely dozens of witnesses, who have information and cell phone video footage that can help the police investigation."

Vancouver Police began receiving 9-1-1 calls around noon on Saturday, reporting a man, possibly in psychosis, who was smashing glass and destroying property near Vancouver General Hospital, at Oak Street and West Broadway. The suspect allegedly approached a 40-year-old woman in her car, made shooting gestures, banged on the vehicle, and tried to open the car door. When she drove away, the suspect allegedly chased the vehicle down the street.

Thirty minutes later, the suspect allegedly chased joggers near the entrance of an apartment building. The joggers, who have not been identified, managed to seek refuge inside the building, but the suspect allegedly smashed the front door in an attempt to pursue them.

A woman who witnessed that incident was then accosted by the suspect, who allegedly cornered her and demanded her phone.

Moments later, the suspect approached a woman who was walking on Oak Street, and allegedly assaulted her by grabbing her by the hair and punching her. The 25-year-old woman broke free with the help of a bystander and fled to a building with a number of other frightened people, but the suspect allegedly pursed them through the hallways and stairwells of the building while threatening them and brandishing a large piece of broken glass. Police are looking for that bystander to come forward to assist with the investigation.

VPD officers responded from across the city and located the suspect outside a building near Oak Street and West 10th Avenue. He was arrested following a brief struggle and taken to hospital to get treatment for glass cuts, and because officers believed he was in psychosis. The man has since been taken to jail.

"Thankfully, nobody was physically injured during these frightening incidents, however VPD Victim Services staff are working with all of the victims to lend support and deal with the emotional trauma that will likely follow," adds Constable Visintin. "So far investigators have identified five victims, but we believe there are more victims, and dozens of witnesses, who fled in fear before VPD officers arrived."

Latest news

WorldFeb 18, 2026

Fireworks shop explosion in central China leaves 12 dead, investigation underway

A powerful explosion at a fireworks retail shop in central China has left 12 people dead, according to local authorities. The blast occurred Wednesday in the city of Xiangyang, located in Hubei province. Officials said the explosion triggered a large fire that destroyed an area of roughly 50 square metres around the store. Emergency response teams were dispatched to the scene shortly after the blast was reported. Firefighters brought the flames under control after several hours of rescue efforts. Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause of the explosion and an investigation is ongoing. Ind
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-one-week-before-provincial-budget
FeaturedFeb 18, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address one week before provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will address Albertans in a televised speech on Thursday, one week before the province’s 2026 budget is tabled in the legislature. Smith made the announcement during an unrelated news conference in Calgary but did not provide details on what topics she intends to cover. A spokesperson for the Premier’s Office said further information about the address would be released at a later time. The speech comes ahead of Finance Minister Nate Horner’s scheduled budget presentation on Feb. 26. The government has already signalled that the fiscal plan will ref
alberta-to-invest-400-million-dollars-in-new-water-bombers-to-modernize-wildfire-fleet
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta to invest 400 million dollars in new water bombers to modernize wildfire fleet

The Alberta government says it will spend 400 million dollars to strengthen its aging fleet of water bombers, part of a long term strategy to address increasingly severe wildfire seasons across the province. Premier Danielle Smith announced the agreement with De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, which is expected to deliver the first of five new aircraft in 2031. The remaining planes will be phased in over subsequent years. Smith said the investment is separate from the roughly 160 million dollars Alberta allocates annually for wildfire response operations. The province has faced longer and more d
prime-minister-mark-carney-to-visit-richmond-and-vancouver-for-community-events-and-party
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney to Visit Richmond and Vancouver for Community Events and Party

Prime Minister Mark Carney is scheduled to visit British Columbia today, with stops in Richmond and Vancouver focused on community engagement and Liberal Party activities. According to the Prime Minister’s Office, Carney will join members of the local community in Richmond to take part in Lunar New Year celebrations, an event that draws significant participation from the region’s large Chinese Canadian population. Richmond is home to one of the largest Asian communities in Canada, and Lunar New Year events are considered an important cultural and civic gathering across Metro Vancouver. Lat
john-rustad-will-not-enter-b-c-conservative-leadership-race
BCFeb 17, 2026

John Rustad will not enter B.C. Conservative leadership race

Former John Rustad has confirmed he will not seek the leadership of the BC Conservative Party, ending weeks of speculation about a possible return bid. In a statement released Saturday, Rustad said the decision followed considerable reflection. He began by thanking his wife for her support throughout his time in public life, describing her as his strongest source of encouragement during the pressures and challenges of political service. Rustad also expressed gratitude to supporters who had indicated they were prepared to back him in a leadership campaign. He said stepping aside was a decision

Related News