19.94°C Vancouver

Jul 22, 2021 7:21 PM -

VPD investigates spike in vandalism at city churches

Share On
vpd-investigates-spike-in-vandalism-at-city-churches
Vancouver Police are calling on witnesses to report suspicious activity around churches, following a major spike in crimes at religious properties this summer. (Photo - Vancouver Police/Twitter)

Vancouver Police are calling on witnesses to report suspicious activity around churches, following a major spike in crimes at religious properties this summer.

"We’re reminding people to be proactive and to report anything unusual at church properties, because we’re concerned this could escalate into a situation where someone gets badly hurt," says Sergeant Steve Addison, VPD. "If you see anyone who looks suspicious and you think they’re about to commit a crime, please don’t hesitate to call 9-1-1."

Vancouver Police are currently investigating 13 incidents of mischief and vandalism at churches and church properties since June 2. The incidents include rocks being thrown through windows, buildings being defaced with paint, and threats to set fire to buildings. Specialized investigators from VPD’s Property Crime Unit are gathering evidence and looking for possible links to solve the crimes. So far, no arrests have been made.

Incidents of note:

A church building near Little Mountain was vandalized around 9 p.m. on June 8 by four people dressed in black. They threw red paint on property, posted signs, and painted graffiti that referenced residential schools;

An unknown person threatened to burn down a church in South Vancouver on Canada Day;

A church in Renfrew-Collingwood was vandalized 10:45 p.m. on Canada Day by two women who threw orange paint on the side of the building;

Sometime between July 4 and July 7, someone threw a rock through the window of a church in Kitsilano;

The pastor of a South Cambie church was making his early-morning rounds on July 20 when he discovered a gallon of lighter fluid and rags near the side of the building at 4 a.m. He also saw a suspicious man standing in the middle of the road staring at the church.

Though most of these crimes have occurred at night or in the early mornings, many churches and church properties are occupied both day and night, and these crimes could put people in danger.

"Fortunately, nobody has been hurt in these Vancouver incidents and most of the damage has been minor," adds Sergeant Addison. "However, we’re growing more concerned each day by the escalation of these crimes and their brazen nature, and we’re calling on the people responsible for these crimes to stop. There are more productive ways to voice your anger and express your views."

Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News