18.72°C Vancouver

Oct 26, 2021 7:21 PM - Connect News

Victoria: Man deceased after apartment fire in James Bay

Share On
victoria-man-deceased-after-apartment-fire-in-james-bay
One man is deceased after a fatal apartment fire in James Bay this morning. (Photo - Victoria Police/Twitter)

One man is deceased after a fatal apartment fire in James Bay this morning.

At approximately 8:30 a.m. this morning Patrol officers were called to a multi-unit residential building in the 100-block of Menzies Street where the Victoria Fire Department was on scene attacking a fire. One person has died as a result of the incident.

Detectives with VicPD’s Major Crime Unit and officers with VicPD’s Forensic Identification Services attended the scene to continue the investigation. The cause of the fire remains under investigation. However, this incident is not being investigated as a criminal act.

No other persons were injured as a result of this fire. The building sustained significant fire damage.

The BC Coroners Service is continuing an independent investigation to determine all of the facts surrounding the death.

Latest news

AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l
b-c-premier-eby-to-raise-carbon-pricing-concerns-in-meeting-with-prime-minister-carney
BCMay 20, 2026

B.C. Premier Eby to raise carbon pricing concerns in meeting with Prime Minister Carney

B.C. Premier David Eby is set to meet Prime Minister Mark Carney on Wednesday, where he is expected to raise concerns over a proposed federal carbon pricing exemption for Alberta. The meeting follows comments made by Eby on Tuesday criticizing what he described as preferential treatment toward Alberta amid ongoing national policy discussions. Eby said the federal government should not focus its attention on premiers raising concerns about national unity while overlooking broader provincial consultation. The dispute comes after Prime Minister Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced
pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe

Related News