25.47°C Vancouver

Sep 18, 2023 8:45 PM - Connect News

U.S. prisoners released by exchange with Iran arrived in Qatar

Share On
u-s-prisoners-released-by-exchange-with-iran-arrived-in-qatar
Three ex-prisoners Siamak Namazi, Emad Sharghi and Morad Tahbaz were welcomed by US Ambassador to Qatar Timmy Davis.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Five American citizens have left Iran's prison to go to America.

American prisoners released by exchange with Iran have reached Qatar.

In exchange for the release of these prisoners, the US will release about 6 billion dollars of Iran seized in South Korea.

US President Joe Biden said that five innocent Americans are finally coming home.

Biden urged Americans not to travel to Iran and also sought more information about American citizen Bob Levinson, who went missing a year ago.

Three ex-prisoners Siamak Namazi, Emad Sharghi and Morad Tahbaz were welcomed by US Ambassador to Qatar Timmy Davis.

Siamak Namazi was detained in 2015 and later sentenced to 10 years in prison on charges of espionage.

Emad Sharghi was sentenced to 10 years in prison, he is a businessman.

Morad Tahbaz is a British-American security activist of Iranian origin who was arrested in 2018 and received a 10-year sentence.

The US declined to identify the other two prisoners.

Latest news

channi-clarifies-absence-from-congress-working-committee-meeting
IndiaAug 20, 2026

Channi Clarifies Absence from Congress Working Committee Meeting

Former Punjab Chief Minister and Congress leader Charanjit Singh Channi on Thursday clarified that he had been absent from Wednesday’s Congress Working Committee (CWC) meeting with the permission of the party high command. Channi said he had an examination at Panjab University, which prevented him from attending the meeting. He said the party high command had granted him permission to remain absent. The meeting, chaired by Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge, was attended by senior leaders including Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi, along with several other top leaders and special invitees. A
rbc-appoints-former-ontario-minister-caroline-mulroney-as-vice-chair
CanadaAug 20, 2026

RBC Appoints Former Ontario Minister Caroline Mulroney as Vice-Chair

Canada’s largest bank, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), has appointed former Ontario cabinet minister Caroline Mulroney as its new vice-chair. According to a statement issued by RBC, Mulroney will begin her new role on September 14. Her appointment is within the bank’s Capital Markets division. Mulroney is the daughter of the late former Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney. She served as an MPP in the Ontario legislature from 2018 to 2026 and held several key positions in Premier Doug Ford’s government, including Attorney General, Minister of Transportation and President of the Treasury Bo
BCAug 20, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Charged in Connection With Two Grass Fires in Vernon

A 33-year-old woman has been charged with six serious offences in connection with two separate grass fires that occurred in Vernon, in B.C.’s Okanagan region, on Aug. 4. According to Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, the first fire was reported on Kammenz Road near Bench Row Road in the afternoon. About 20 minutes later, a second fire was discovered at Carlson Park. Following an investigation, police arrested 33-year-old Maria Benning Bear, a resident of West Kelowna, on Aug. 14. She is facing six serious charges, including arson, mischief causing property damage, possession of incendiary material
senior-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-translink-bus-in-surrey
BCAug 20, 2026

Senior Man Dies After Being Struck by TransLink Bus in Surrey

A senior man who was seriously injured after being struck by a TransLink bus in Surrey last month has died in hospital. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, was found seriously injured at the intersection of 128 Street and 96 Avenue at around 9:41 p.m. on July 11. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he later died while undergoing treatment. Police believe the incident occurred near a bus stop. The initial investigation has ruled out factors such as excessive speed and impairment as possible causes of the crash. SPS is asking anyone w
AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,

Related News