17.5°C Vancouver

Dec 17, 2025 3:02 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

U.S. announces expanded travel ban covering seven more countries

Share On
u-s-announces-expanded-travel-ban-covering-seven-more-countries
The White House in Washington, D.C., where new travel restrictions were announced on Tuesday. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced a full travel ban on citizens from seven additional countries, expanding restrictions that now affect people from a total of 39 nations, according to a letter released by the White House on Tuesday.

Under the new decision, full travel restrictions will apply to Palestine, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, South Sudan and Syria. The administration has also imposed partial travel limits on citizens from 15 other countries, though specific details of those restrictions were not immediately released.

The White House said the measures are being introduced in the interest of national and public security. The expanded restrictions are scheduled to take effect on January 1. Exemptions will remain in place for lawful permanent residents, diplomats and athletes participating in international events.

As part of the changes, the United States has lifted non-immigrant visa restrictions for citizens of Turkmenistan, while maintaining limits on immigrant visas from that country.

The decision follows a shooting incident last month near the White House involving an Afghan refugee and members of the National Guard. U.S. officials have cited the incident as part of a broader review of border security and screening procedures.

Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News