23.55°C Vancouver

Aug 5, 2026 1:34 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Two men charged after violent robbery of 75-year-old man in Vancouver

Share On
two-men-charged-after-violent-robbery-of-75-year-old-man-in-vancouver
Vancouver Police released surveillance video during the investigation into the violent robbery of a 75-year-old man in Vancouver. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Vancouver Police say two men have been arrested and charged in connection with the violent robbery of a 75-year-old man that occurred last week in the city's Downtown Eastside. Police had earlier released surveillance video as part of the investigation.

According to the Vancouver Police Department, officers on patrol near East Hastings Street and Jackson Avenue arrested the first suspect without incident on July 30 after recognizing him in the area. A second suspect was taken into custody on Aug. 2 after officers responded to a report of an unknown person inside a residence.

Police identified the accused as 43-year-old Kurt Werner Steinhauser and 40-year-old Andre Joseph Brunet. Each has been charged with one count of robbery. The allegations have not been proven in court.

Police previously said the victim, a 75-year-old Vancouver resident, was attacked while out for a walk. According to Const. Megan Lui, the suspects allegedly assaulted the man after stealing his belongings. When the victim attempted to recover his property, investigators say he was thrown against a wall twice before the suspects fled the scene.

Latest news

BCAug 06, 2026

Fort St. John RCMP investigate second targeted drive-by shooting in recent weeks

RCMP are investigating a targeted drive-by shooting in Fort St. John that damaged several properties but did not result in any reported injuries. The incident marks the second targeted shooting in the city within the past few weeks. According to Fort St. John RCMP, officers responded to reports of gunfire at about 1:37 a.m. Thursday in the 9800 block of 108 Avenue, near the city's downtown area. Investigators found bullet damage to a travel trailer, two nearby homes and a vehicle. Police said no injuries were reported. As of publication, investigators have not released a description of any sus
federal-government-restores-full-health-coverage-for-refugees-and-asylum-claimants
CanadaAug 06, 2026

Federal government restores full health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants

The federal government under Prime Minister Mark Carney has reversed recent cuts to health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants, restoring full benefits under the Interim Federal Health Program. New rules introduced on May 1, 2026 required eligible refugees to pay a $4 co-payment for prescription medications. The changes also required them to cover 30 per cent of the cost of supplemental services, including dental care, vision care, physiotherapy and mental health services. The policy drew criticism from frontline physicians, human rights organizations and community advocates, who argued
rcmp-warn-western-canada-trucking-businesses-about-credit-card-fraud-scheme
CanadaAug 06, 2026

RCMP warn Western Canada trucking businesses about credit card fraud scheme

The Saskatchewan RCMP is warning trucking and transportation-related businesses across Western Canada about a credit card fraud scheme targeting commercial suppliers. According to an RCMP news release, suspects are contacting businesses by phone and using fraudulent credit cards to purchase truck tires, engine oil, trailer parts and other high-value items. Police say the fraud typically begins with a phone order and payment by credit card. The initial transaction may appear as approved or pending, prompting businesses to ship the goods by courier. After the shipment is delivered, the credit ca
rustad-criticizes-b-c-premiers-public-response-as-wildfire-evacuations-continue
BCAug 06, 2026

Rustad criticizes B.C. premier's public response as wildfire evacuations continue

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad has criticized Premier David Eby over his public response as thousands of people across British Columbia remain under evacuation orders because of ongoing wildfires. Rustad said it was unacceptable that the premier had not addressed the public while many residents remain displaced and families are uncertain whether their homes have survived. He described the situation as a failure of leadership, saying people affected by the fires expect clear answers and support from the province's top elected official. According to statements released by the B.C. Conserva
modi-netanyahu-discuss-west-asia-developments-in-phone-call
IndiaAug 06, 2026

Modi, Netanyahu discuss West Asia developments in phone call

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke by telephone on Thursday to discuss recent developments in West Asia and the current regional situation. According to information released by Indian authorities, the two leaders also reviewed ongoing cooperation under the India–Israel Strategic Partnership. They reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening bilateral cooperation across multiple sectors. The conversation comes as both countries continue regular high-level engagement on regional and bilateral issues. Prime Minister Modi last spoke with Netan

Related News