16.56°C Vancouver

Aug 19, 2021 10:17 PM -

Traffic stop yields loaded firearm and drugs in North Vancouver

Share On
traffic-stop-yields-loaded-firearm-and-drugs-in-north-vancouver
A North Vancouver man is facing multiple criminal charges after a traffic stop nets drugs and a loaded firearm. (Photo - West Vancouver police/Twitter)

A North Vancouver man is facing multiple criminal charges after a traffic stop nets drugs and a loaded firearm.

On July 17th, 2021, a WVPD officer was travelling through North Vancouver when he conducted a traffic stop in the 1700 blk. of Main St. The driver, a North Vancouver resident, was found to be the subject of two arrest warrants, and he was taken into custody. A search of his vehicle yielded a loaded handgun, weapons, drugs packaged for sale, and police-like equipment including a holster, fake police badge, and gun belt. Some of the items had been hidden in secret compartments throughout the vehicle.

On July 22nd, with assistance from North Vancouver RCMP and members of the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit (CFSEU), a search warrant was executed on the suspect’s North Vancouver residence.

During the search, WVPD investigators seized items consistent with the manufacturing of firearms, including 3D printers. They also seized weapons, fraudulent ID’s, suspected drugs, and drug paraphernalia.

"Obviously, the guns and drugs, especially the way they were concealed, cause us concern," says WVPD Cst. Kevin Goodmurphy. "The added presence of police-like items and things like 3D printers, elevates our level of concern."

Police are unable to confirm any connection to the Lower Mainland gang conflict, but they continue to explore all avenues in the investigation.

"Our officers work closely with our police partners throughout the lower mainland, including the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit and Real Time Intelligence Centre," says Cst. Goodmurphy. "We have industry-leading intelligence at our fingertips. Our officers are exceptional. And our investigative resources run deep."

BC Prosecution Service has now approved the following charges against 31-year-old Thomas Barewski, of North Vancouver:

3 counts - Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized s. 92(2) ccc

1 count – Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order s. 117.01 ccc

1 count – Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm s. 91(1) ccc

1 count – Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm s. 95(1) ccc

1 count – Possession of an Identity Document s. 56.1(1) ccc

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News