18.62°C Vancouver

Feb 18, 2026 5:30 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur

Traffic fatalities in Calgary raise renewed safety concerns as city reviews enforcement measures

Share On

Traffic-related deaths in Calgary are drawing renewed concern from municipal leaders after eight people were killed in collisions during the first seven weeks of the year. Three of the victims were pedestrians, according to city data, prompting calls for stronger safety measures on local roads.

The most recent fatalities occurred over the Family Day weekend, when a child and a senior lost their lives in separate incidents. City officials say that if the current pace continues, the number of deaths in 2026 could exceed last year’s total of 38 traffic fatalities, marking a troubling trend for Alberta’s largest city.

The debate has also revived concerns about the province’s decision to limit photo radar enforcement. The Government of Alberta imposed restrictions on automated speed enforcement in April 2025, arguing the system functioned largely as a revenue tool. However, Jyoti Gondek and several city councillors have said the rollback has reduced deterrence and may be contributing to an increase in speed-related crashes.

City officials have also pointed to financial implications. The changes to photo radar enforcement resulted in an estimated 28 million dollar shortfall in funding previously directed toward policing and traffic safety programs. The City of Calgary has been covering that gap through reserve funds while reviewing longer-term options.

Council members say they remain committed to Vision Zero, an international road safety strategy aimed at eliminating all traffic fatalities and serious injuries. Municipal leaders indicate further discussions with the province are expected as the city weighs additional measures to improve pedestrian and driver safety.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News