-2.5°C Vancouver

Apr 16, 2025 3:59 PM - The Canadian Press

Three new cases of measles reported in Alberta, including Calgary

Share On
three-new-cases-of-measles-reported-in-alberta-including-calgary
The health authority is warning that residents of the two towns may have been exposed to the highly contagious disease if they attended specific locations.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Alberta is reporting three more confirmed cases of measles, including one in Calgary. Alberta Health Services says the individual in Calgary had visited nearby towns of Banff and Canmore while infectious earlier this month.

The health authority is warning that residents of the two towns may have been exposed to the highly contagious disease if they attended specific locations.

It says exposure areas include the Save-On-Foods in Canmore on April 6, and Banff's Lux Cinema and the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel on April 11.

Alberta has seen 77 cases of measles since the beginning of March.

The government says the majority of cases have been in children and at least eight people have been hospitalized.

Latest news

CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada men’s hockey team faces Finland in Olympic semifinal as short track finals offer medal

Canada’s men’s hockey team is set to face Finland in the semifinal at the 2026 Winter Olympic Games, with puck drop scheduled for 10:40 a.m. ET. The matchup will determine who advances to the gold medal game as Canada looks to add to its medal total at the Milan Cortina Games. There is uncertainty surrounding the availability of team captain Sidney Crosby, whose status for the semifinal remains unclear. Team officials have not confirmed whether the veteran forward will dress for the game, a development that could influence Canada’s lineup against a strong Finnish side. Canada will also h
canadian-evacuation-flights-from-cuba-conclude-amid-severe-fuel-shortage
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canadian evacuation flights from Cuba conclude amid severe fuel shortage

Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says the final Canadian airline evacuation flights from Cuba have now concluded, as the country faces a deepening aviation fuel crisis that has disrupted international travel. According to the federal government, approximately 27,900 Canadians were safely transported home through coordinated efforts involving major carriers. Air Canada, WestJet and Air Transat have officially suspended their services to Cuba until further notice due to the ongoing shortage of aviation fuel, which has made refuelling for international flights difficult. Minister A
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

United States defeats Canada 2-1 in overtime to win gold in women’s hockey at Winter Olympics

The United States captured the gold medal in women’s hockey at the 2026 Winter Olympics on Friday, edging Canada 2-1 in a tightly contested final that extended into overtime. Canada opened the scoring early in the second period when Kristin O’Neill capitalized on a shorthanded breakaway, giving her team a 1-0 lead. The advantage held for much of the game as both sides traded chances in a fast-paced and physical matchup that reflected the long-standing Olympic rivalry between the two programs. With less than two minutes remaining in regulation time, veteran forward Hilary Knight tied the ga
b-c-commits-50-million-to-expand-nasal-naloxone-access-amid-ongoing-overdose-crisis
BCFeb 19, 2026

B.C. commits $50 million to expand nasal naloxone access amid ongoing overdose crisis

The British Columbia government says it will invest $50 million over the next two years to increase access to nasal naloxone kits as part of its response to the province’s ongoing overdose emergency. Health Minister Josie Osborne said the funding will allow nasal naloxone to account for roughly half of the more than 400,000 take home naloxone kits distributed each year in B.C. The province first declared the toxic drug crisis a public health emergency in April 2016, and officials say it continues to have widespread impacts on families and communities. According to the Health Ministry, inject
trump-sets-10-day-deadline-for-iran-nuclear-deal-after-second-round-of-talks
WorldFeb 19, 2026

Trump sets 10 day deadline for Iran nuclear deal after second round of talks

The second round of negotiations between the United States and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear program has concluded, with U.S. President Donald Trump warning that Iran has 10 days to reach an agreement or face possible military consequences. Speaking after the talks, Trump said Washington expects a clear commitment from Tehran to curb its nuclear activities. He cautioned that failure to reach a deal within the set timeframe could result in military action, escalating tensions in an already volatile region. Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the discussions held in Gene

Related News