18.88°C Vancouver

Oct 7, 2020 3:40 PM -

Straws, stir sticks and bags among first targets of countrywide plastics ban

Share On
straws-stir-sticks-and-bags-among-first-targets-of-countrywide-plastics-ban
Minister of Environment and Climate Change Jonathan Wilkinson answers a question during question period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says six single-use plastic items that aren't easily recycled and already have more environmentally friendly alternatives will be the first to go under Canada's new restrictions on plastics.

That means the end of next year will be the end of the road for plastic straws, stir sticks, carry-out bags, cutlery, dishes and takeout containers and six-pack rings for cans and bottles.

Wilkinson says many of the items that aren't on that list, such as plastic bottles, will be getting new standards to require them to contain a minimum amount of recycled material.

He says there is also a push to standardize how plastic items are made, from the types and amounts of plastic used to the dyes and adhesives, so recycling them is easier.

The Alberta government announced Tuesday it wants to become a hub for Canada's expanding recycling industry.

Canada currently recycles less than 10 per cent of the three million tonnes of plastic it produces each year, and along with the provinces has set a goal of have zero plastic waste ending up in landfills by 2030.

Latest news

canada-names-new-high-commissioner-to-india-as-both-restore-relations
CanadaAug 28, 2025

Canada names new high commissioner to India as both restore relations

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand has unveiled Canada's new high commissioner to India, 10 months after both countries expelled their top envoys. Longtime Canadian diplomat Christopher Cooter will take on the role.
surrey-police-chief-faces-questions-on-law-and-order-situation-in-the-city
BCAug 27, 2025

Surrey police chief faces questions on law and order situation in the city

An alleged shooting incident has reportedly occurred in the area of ​​134th Street and 89A Avenue in Surrey around noon today. Allegedly, the shooting target was a home. This is the second shooting in Surrey in three days. Earlier on Monday, Sidhu Travel Ltd in York Centre had been targeted in a shooting incident.The head of Surrey Police Service, Chief Constable Norm Lipinski, faced some tough questions on the deteriorating Law and Order situation in the city on Connect FM's Dupehar Wala Show (afternoon show). This year, there have been two instances where a local business related to a Hi
cricket-club-secretary-raises-questions-on-safety-after-alleged-attacked-during-a-cricket-match
BCAug 27, 2025

Cricket club secretary raises questions on safety after alleged attack during a cricket match

Questions are being raised about the safety of players and staff at sporting venues after an incident during a cricket match in Surrey on Sunday. Surrey Warriors Cricket Club secretary Parvesh Kumar was attacked with bear spray during a match, this past Sunday, Aug. 24. Parvesh Kumar was sitting on a slope at the side of the cricket field during a match being played at North Surrey Community Park when a man attacked him from behind. He screamed in pain and irritation, prompting players and other staff to rush towards him. Some team members also tried to chase the attacker, but the suspect ma
can-you-identify-this-fraud-suspect
BCAug 27, 2025

West Shore RCMP seeking help in identifying a fraud suspect

West Shore RCMP is currently investigating a report fraud over $5000 involving a male suspect who is alleged to have used a fraudulent identification in order to obtain several smart phones from a mobile shop in Langford. Police are looking to identify this suspect who is described as: Black male in his 30’s;Dark brown eyes;Black facial hair;Wearing a white colored t-shirt and black baseball cap with white ribbing.If you know who this suspect could be please contact West Shore RCMP at 250-474-2264. You can also report anonymously via Crime Stoppers online or by calling 1-800-222-8477.
more-than-3-000-new-student-seats-opening-in-b-c
BCAug 27, 2025

More than 3,000 new student seats opening in B.C.

As families prepare to send kids back to school in September, new schools and additions are opening in several growing communities, with thousands more spaces under construction throughout British Columbia. “We’ve been working hard to build and deliver new schools to meet the needs of students now and in the future,” said Bowinn Ma, Minister of Infrastructure. “Our historic investments in school infrastructure are already making a meaningful difference for B.C. students, and we look forward to welcoming young learners into even more brand-new classrooms this fall.” In Langford, one o

Related News