18.09°C Vancouver

Jan 28, 2020 2:57 PM -

Sonia Furstenau promises to build on progress of B.C. Greens with leadership bid

Share On
sonia-furstenau-promises-to-build-on-progress-of-b-c-greens-with-leadership-bid
House leader Sonia Furstenau looks on as Mike Farnworth answers questions about the speaker situation and theMcLachlan report during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Thursday, May 16, 2019. Furstenau, a Green member of the British Columbia legislature known for her fight against a contaminated-soil quarry in her community, has announced her bid for leadership of the party.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito

Sonia Furstenau, a Green member of the British Columbia legislature known for her fight against a contaminated-soil quarry in her community, is running for the party's leadership.

Furstenau, who represents the Cowichan Valley riding on Vancouver Island, promised at a news conference Monday to build on her party's progress and set it up for another election breakthrough.

Former leader Andrew Weaver was the lone Green member of the legislature until Furstenau and Adam Olsen joined him following the 2017 election, marking a historic moment for the party.

The three-member caucus signed a deal to support an NDP minority government, allowing the Greens to secure commitments to fight climate change, campaign financing and a referendum on electoral reform.

Furstenau said the Greens have been behind major policy changes including strengthening oversight of resource industries, making the legislature more transparent and accountable, and banning big money from politics.

But she said the changes have just scratched the surface of what the Greens can achieve.

"For me, leadership isn't about being the loudest or the most dominant person in the room. It is about listening and creating a sense of engagement and belonging," she said.

Weaver announced last fall that he would step down as leader, saying it was "time to let another generation take the lead." Earlier this month, he left the party to sit as an Independent, citing health challenges affecting his family.

Olsen is serving as interim leader until the party holds its leadership contest in June.

Furstenau said she was drawn into politics during the successful fight against a provincial permit that allowed a company to store contaminated soil in a quarry in the Cowichan Valley, potentially affecting water quality.

"It was most certainly a turning point in my life. I had never had aspirations to be in politics but the injustice of what was happening in my community drove me to want to participate in solving the roots of these problems," she said.

Through that work, she said it became clear to her that there was a "major disconnect" between how decisions are made in Victoria and Ottawa and the effects those decisions have on communities.

She blamed the former B.C. Liberal government for a "string of bad decisions" but also took aim at the NDP.

She said Premier John Horgan's government continues to claim B.C. has a strong economy while one in five children live in poverty, the forestry industry is in crisis and urban employers have worker shortages because of unaffordable housing.

"We could do so much better," she said.

Furstenau said she's spoken with dozens of enthusiastic future candidates who are eager to be "part of something new."


Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News