17.9°C Vancouver

Jun 17, 2025 5:47 PM - Connect Newsroom

“Shameful Blame Game”: MLA Elenore Sturko Condemns Minister Garry Begg for Targeting Victims Amid Surrey Extortion Crisis

Share On
shameful-blame-game-mla-elenore-sturko-condemns-minister-garry-begg-for-targeting-victims-amid-surrey-extortion-crisis
Sturko also pointed to serious concerns around policing in Surrey, where the NDP’s $250 million transition has created deep instability.(Photo: Elenore Sturko X)

At a public safety forum in Surrey this weekend, frustration in the South Asian business community reached a boiling point. Community members, many of them extortion victims, spoke out about a justice system they no longer trust.

Instead of standing with victims, NDP Public Safety Minister Garry Begg blamed the community for not coming forward. His comments, made in front of survivors and concerned citizens, shocked attendees and drew immediate condemnation from MLA Elenore Sturko, Official Opposition Critic for Solicitor General and Public Safety.

“At yesterday’s public safety town hall in Surrey, Garry Begg blamed the community for not coming forward with information about crimes. Shameful,” said Sturko. “Community members have told me they are afraid to come forward out of fear that violent criminals out on bail will retaliate. It is no wonder they have lost faith in the NDP-Liberal catch-and-release system.”

So far this year, Surrey Police have confirmed at least 10 extortion cases, but experts say the real number is far higher. Many victims are too afraid to speak out. One man was murdered. Another business owner is paying for private security. Some presenters at the forum even advocated for vigilantism, underscoring how deeply public trust has eroded.

“People aren’t coming forward because they’ve lost faith that anything will be done, and because they fear violent retaliation,” added Sturko. “The fact that the only public forum on this crisis was organized by a victim, not the government, says everything.”

Sturko also pointed to serious concerns around policing in Surrey, where the NDP’s $250 million transition has created deep instability. Surrey Police Service is offering $25,000 signing bonuses and $2,000 recruitment bounties to poach RCMP officers, who report being approached while on duty, adding difficulty to the already difficult working relationship in the city.

“Instead of blaming a scared community, Minister Begg and the NDP should take responsibility for the chaos their policies have created,” said Sturko. “It’s time for David Eby and Niki Sharma to show leadership by calling on the federal government to repeal Bill C-75 and C-5, and give police the tools to keep people safe.”

Latest news

surrey-police-chief-faces-questions-on-law-and-order-situation-in-the-city
BCAug 27, 2025

Surrey police chief faces questions on law and order situation in the city

An alleged shooting incident has reportedly occurred in the area of ​​134th Street and 89A Avenue in Surrey around noon today. Allegedly, the shooting target was a home. This is the second shooting in Surrey in three days. Earlier on Monday, Sidhu Travel Ltd in York Centre had been targeted in a shooting incident.The head of Surrey Police Service, Chief Constable Norm Lipinski, faced some tough questions on the deteriorating Law and Order situation in the city on Connect FM's Dupehar Wala Show (afternoon show). This year, there have been two instances where a local business related to a Hi
cricket-club-secretary-raises-questions-on-safety-after-alleged-attacked-during-a-cricket-match
BCAug 27, 2025

Cricket club secretary raises questions on safety after alleged attack during a cricket match

Questions are being raised about the safety of players and staff at sporting venues after an incident during a cricket match in Surrey on Sunday. Surrey Warriors Cricket Club secretary Parvesh Kumar was attacked with bear spray during a match, this past Sunday, Aug. 24. Parvesh Kumar was sitting on a slope at the side of the cricket field during a match being played at North Surrey Community Park when a man attacked him from behind. He screamed in pain and irritation, prompting players and other staff to rush towards him. Some team members also tried to chase the attacker, but the suspect ma
can-you-identify-this-fraud-suspect
BCAug 27, 2025

West Shore RCMP seeking help in identifying a fraud suspect

West Shore RCMP is currently investigating a report fraud over $5000 involving a male suspect who is alleged to have used a fraudulent identification in order to obtain several smart phones from a mobile shop in Langford. Police are looking to identify this suspect who is described as: Black male in his 30’s;Dark brown eyes;Black facial hair;Wearing a white colored t-shirt and black baseball cap with white ribbing.If you know who this suspect could be please contact West Shore RCMP at 250-474-2264. You can also report anonymously via Crime Stoppers online or by calling 1-800-222-8477.
more-than-3-000-new-student-seats-opening-in-b-c
BCAug 27, 2025

More than 3,000 new student seats opening in B.C.

As families prepare to send kids back to school in September, new schools and additions are opening in several growing communities, with thousands more spaces under construction throughout British Columbia. “We’ve been working hard to build and deliver new schools to meet the needs of students now and in the future,” said Bowinn Ma, Minister of Infrastructure. “Our historic investments in school infrastructure are already making a meaningful difference for B.C. students, and we look forward to welcoming young learners into even more brand-new classrooms this fall.” In Langford, one o
WorldAug 27, 2025

2 children killed in shooting at Catholic school

Two children have been killed in a shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis, US. The children were aged 8 and 10. The city's police chief Brian O'Hara confirmed this and said that 17 other people were injured, 14 of whom are children. He said that during the prayer service, an attacker came out of the building and began firing rifle shots through the church windows at children sitting in the mess. According to Police Chief O'Hara, the shooter was armed with a shotgun, a rifle and a pistol. He said that the shooter later shot himself in the parking lot, in which he died. Poli

Related News