21.21°C Vancouver

Apr 8, 2025 6:49 PM - The Canadian Press

Program that sent British Columbians to the U.S. for cancer treatment ends

Share On
program-that-sent-british-columbians-to-the-u-s-for-cancer-treatment-ends
The province says a total of 1,107 patients have completed radiation therapy in the United States through the program, but the use of that option has been in steady decline.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

British Columbia is ending a program that sent cancer patients to the United States for treatment, saying provincial wait times have improved enough that they no longer have to rely on clinics south of the border.

A statement from the Ministry of Health says as of the end of February, about 93 per cent of patients are waiting less than four weeks to start their radiation treatment, an improvement from spring 2023, when that number was only 69 per cent.

It says the national benchmark is 90 per cent.

The province began funding as many as 50 radiation patients each week in May 2023 for treatment at clinics in Washington state, saying that in was necessary to ensure people got faster access to life-saving treatment.

The Health Ministry says since April 1, 2023, B.C. has added 224.6 full-time equivalent health-care providers to regional cancer centres, upgraded existing hospital space and expanded travel programs for people living in rural and remote communities.

The province says a total of 1,107 patients have completed radiation therapy in the United States through the program, but the use of that option has been in steady decline.

It says estimates are that approximately 104 patients would access the program over the coming year if it were to continue, and those people can now be accommodated in B.C.

"By hiring more specialists, upgrading our hospitals, and expanding innovative treatments, B.C.'s 10-Year Cancer Action Plan is working to improve wait times for radiation therapy and meet national benchmarks," Health Minister Josie Osborne says in the news release.

"Thanks to the progress we've made over the past two years, we can now safely wind down this temporary program and focus on getting patients the care they need in B.C."

Latest news

cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre Holds Video Call With Reza Pahlavi, Invites Him to Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre held a video conference today with Iran’s exiled former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi and invited him to visit Canada. Sharing details of the conversation, Poilievre said they discussed the current regime in Tehran and the mission to establish a free and democratic Iran. He also mentioned the strong support he received from Vancouver’s Iranian community for holding talks with Pahlavi. Poiliev was in the North Vancouver–Capilano riding last week, where a by-election is scheduled for August 31. On Saturday, he attended a meeting organized by the Conservativ
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday
canada-could-get-tariff-relief-on-steel-aluminum-and-automobiles
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Could Get Tariff Relief on Steel, Aluminum and Automobiles

Canada could receive some tariff relief on steel, aluminum and automobiles under a new trade deal with the United States that is reportedly nearing completion. According to reports, Washington could reduce the current 50% tariff on some Canadian steel and aluminum exports to 25% as part of the agreement. However, the details have not yet been finalized, and the new rates are not expected to apply equally to all products. Different tariffs could be imposed on certain steel- and aluminum-derived products. Meanwhile, the top-line tariff on automobiles could reportedly be reduced from 25% to 15%.

Related News