20.48°C Vancouver

Feb 3, 2022 10:35 PM - Connect News

Police investigate after 26 transit buses damaged

Share On
police-investigate-after-26-transit-buses-damaged
Vancouver Police and Metro Vancouver Transit Police are investigating after more than two dozen windows were broken on buses driving through the Downtown Eastside. (File photo - Cst. Shiraaz Hanif/Twitter)

Vancouver Police and Metro Vancouver Transit Police are investigating after more than two dozen windows were broken on buses driving through the Downtown Eastside.

"We believe someone may be launching projectiles at buses as they travel along East Hastings Street in the Downtown Eastside," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. "The frequency of these incidents is increasing and we’re worried someone could get hurt."

Twenty-six windows have been broken since January 17, and investigators believe whoever is launching the projectiles is likely doing so from outside the buses.

"In each of these cases, the broken windows weren’t immediately noticed by the drivers or reported by the passenger," says Constable Amanda Steed, Metro Vancouver Transit Police. "It was only after the drivers finished their shift that the damage was discovered."

Investigators from VPD’s Property Crime Unit and MVTP’s General Investigation Unit are working together to investigate. From reviewing video from inside the buses, it has been determined that all of the windows were shattered while the buses were in motion in the early morning hours between Gore and Cambie streets.

"We know how concerning these incidents may be for those using transit, specifically people travelling on buses," adds Steed. "This is a priority for us and we’re working together to find out who is responsible and to hold them accountable."

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News