17.97°C Vancouver

Feb 19, 2022 1:10 AM - Connect News

Phone scam suspect arrested in West Vancouver

Share On
phone-scam-suspect-arrested-in-west-vancouver
A suspect has been arrested and is facing potential charges after he attempted to defraud a senior out of thousands of dollars. (Photo - West Vancouver police/Twitter)

A suspect has been arrested and is facing potential charges after he attempted to defraud a senior out of thousands of dollars.

On February 14, WVPD received a report of an attempted fraud. The complainant, and son of the 84-year-old intended victim, told police that his mother had received a phone call earlier in the day from someone demanding money. The caller had identified himself as a police officer and said that the woman’s friend had been arrested and needed $15,000.00 in bail money. The caller said he would pick up the money from the woman’s house the next day.

The woman did the right thing and notified her son, who then called police.

Officers worked with the woman and her son to help arrange a pickup of the money on February 15.

Shortly after 10:00 am on February 15, officers from the West Vancouver Police Target Team along with multiple Patrol officers attended the Caulfeild area and arrested a 31-year-old man from Vancouver.

"This woman did absolutely the right thing by telling her son about the strange phone call," says Cst. Kevin Goodmurphy. "Rest assured that our investigators will do everything they can to ensure this man is held accountable for his despicable actions." "Preying on vulnerable seniors in our community will not be tolerated."

The man was later released pending further investigation and a report to BC Prosecution Service recommending charges.

If anyone receives a suspicious phone call from someone claiming to be in trouble and in need of money, they are asked to contact police immediately.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News