17.23°C Vancouver

Feb 10, 2023 7:20 PM - Connect News

Ottawa appeals court ruling directing government to help repatriate four men in Syria

Share On

The federal government is appealing a judge's declaration that four Canadian men being held in Syrian camps are entitled to Ottawa's help to return home.

In a filing today in the Federal Court of Appeal, the government asks that a ruling last month by Federal Court Justice Henry Brown be set aside and be placed on hold while the appeal plays out.

In his ruling, Brown directed Ottawa to request repatriation of the men as soon as reasonably possible and provide them with passports or emergency travel documents.

Brown said the men are also entitled to have a representative of the federal government travel to Syria to help facilitate their release once their captors agree to hand them over.

The Canadians are among the many foreign nationals in Syrian camps and jails run by Kurdish forces that reclaimed the war-torn region from the extremist group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

They include Jack Letts, whose parents John Letts and Sally Lane have waged a public campaign to pressure Ottawa to come to his aid.

Latest news

richmond-rcmp-warns-public-about-job-posters-written-in-simplified-chinese
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns public about job posters written in Simplified Chinese

Richmond RCMP is warning the public about job advertisement posters targeted to the Chinese community. The posters are written in Simplified Chinese, and posted on various light posts throughout the City. The job posters advertise various types of employment such as vacation home house-sitter, care giver for the elderly, and tea leaves packager. The posters provide a brief description of the job, and a contact phone number. Investigators have reason to believe that these posters may be used to solicit personal information which may be used to identify potential scam targets. In one case, a vic
richmond-rcmp-reminds-drivers-to-slow-down-as-students-return-to-school
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP reminds drivers to slow down as students return to school

As students head back to school this September, Richmond RCMP is reminding drivers and parents to take extra care on the roads. Richmond roads will be busier this September as many people return from summer holidays and children return to school. Drivers are reminded to allow extra travel time, reduce speed, and avoid distractions by leaving your phone alone while driving. Watch for children and multimodal road users, especially near schools, parks, and residential areas. According to ICBC data, three children are killed and 402 injured in crashes while walking or cycling in B.C. every year. 5
poilievre-wants-reasonable-self-defence-defined-in-criminal-code
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Poilievre wants 'reasonable' self-defence defined in Criminal Code

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants the government to amend the Criminal Code to say that the use of force is presumed to be reasonable to defend your home is someone breaks into it. He says if the government doesn't do this, his party will introduce a private member's bill aimed at making the change this fall during a press conference in Brampton, Ont.. This comes after a 44-year-old Lindsay, Ont. man was charged with assault in an altercation after a man with a crossbow allegedly broke into his apartment. The alleged intruder, a 41-year-old man also from Lindsay, was airlifted to hosp
fort-st-john-rcmp-arrest-two-males-and-execute-search-warrant-in-drug-investigation
BCAug 29, 2025

Fort St John RCMP arrest two males and execute search warrant in drug investigation

On August 15, 2025, the Fort St John RCMP Street Enforcement Team completed a drug trafficking investigation with the search of a hotel room near 93 Avenue and 100 Street in Fort St John, BC. The search followed the arrest of two males that day after they attempted to flee from Police in the parking lot of the hotel. The incident resulted in damage to police vehicles and the suspect vehicle. Inside the suspect vehicle, Police located drugs, currency and two loaded handguns; one of which had been converted to fire fully automatic. Police executed a search warrant on the room the males were sta
police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three

Related News