17.44°C Vancouver

Nov 27, 2025 5:09 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

Share On
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
Carney and Smith sign a memorandum of understanding during a ceremony in Calgary. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act.

Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban if a future pipeline secures national interest designation and includes opportunities for Indigenous ownership and economic participation. Alberta, in turn, has committed to raising its industrial carbon price to 130 dollars per tonne by April 1, which would place it above the federal minimum. The federal government also agreed to pause clean electricity regulations in Alberta while both parties negotiate a revised carbon pricing framework.

The understanding links any future pipeline to the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture development, with both levels of government stating the two projects would need to advance together. The approach comes amid public pushback from several coastal First Nations in British Columbia, who argued earlier this month that a pipeline to the Pacific is not viable, and after Premier David Eby warned that easing tanker restrictions could interfere with existing coastal development and shared governance agreements.

The MOU says Ottawa and Alberta intend to engage directly with the B.C. government as planning progresses, while also exploring ways to support the province’s economic priorities through other nationally significant projects. For communities in Western Canada, including those in the Lower Mainland and central Alberta, the agreement signals another phase in ongoing federal–provincial negotiations over resource development and climate policy.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News