19.29°C Vancouver

Sep 25, 2025 7:05 PM - Connect Newsroom - Pervez Sandhu

Operation Hang Up reminds drivers to leave their devices while driving

Share On
operation-hang-up-reminds-drivers-to-leave-their-devices-while-driving
Many volunteers educated drivers under this campaign and installed signs to avoid devices while driving.

Surrey Police Service, Delta Police Department and Surrey Crime Prevention Society, in partnership with ICBC, organized Project Operation Hang-Up today (Sept. 25th).

The education and enforcement campaign focused primarily on distracted driving.

Operation Hang Up
Volunteers can be seen keeping an eye on the drivers during operation hang-up.

While officers were present to participate in this campaign, a large number of volunteers also educated drivers under this campaign and installed signs at various places in the area of ​​Highway 10 and 152 Street in Surrey.

Operation hang-up
SPS and ICBC representatives pose for a picture with Connect FM during operation hang-up.

Connect FM also visited the gas station near Highway 10 and 152 Street where officers were issuing tickets to distracted drivers between 9 and 11 a.m. Bunty Jaswal, Road Safety and Community Coordinator from ICBC, said “we do these drives every year in March and September and make sure the people are not using cell phones while driving and tickets are issued to those using electronic devices while driving.”

Operation hang-up
Inspector Earl Anderson in conversation with Connect FM.

Meanwhile, speaking to Connect FM, Inspector Earl Anderson from Surrey Police's Road Safety Section said “distracted driving is a serious problem and more than 1,300 electronic tickets related to distracted driving have been issued in Surrey so far this year.” He added, “distracted driving is the number two cause of the serious collisions in the province and each year more than 70 people are killed due to incidents related to distracted driving.”

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa vows dollar-for-dollar tariff response

Canada has ended its latest round of trade negotiations with the United States after Ottawa said Washington changed key conditions near the deadline, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to recall Canadian negotiators from the talks. Carney said the revised U.S. terms were unreasonable and harmful to Canada’s interests. He said the government would move quickly to support Canadian workers and businesses affected by the trade measures and would respond to U.S. tariffs on a dollar-for-dollar basis. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, meanwhile, said Canada rejected an opportunity for a d
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News