3°C Vancouver

Mar 13, 2024 1:11 PM - The Canadian Press

MPs to question main contractor on ArriveCan app at House committee

Share On
mps-to-question-main-contractor-on-arrivecan-app-at-house-committee
Last week, the government suspended GC Strategies' security status, which prevents it from bidding or working on government contracts.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

MPs will have another chance to question the people behind the main contract for the ArriveCan app at a House committee meeting today.

This will mark the third time GC Strategies partner Kristian Firth testifies before MPs, with his business partner Darren Anthony set to meet the committee on Thursday.

The two IT recruiters did not build the app, but were tasked by the federal government with assembling a team to complete certain parts of the project, which had an overall cost of $60 million.

Firth has said the federal government was responsible for the direction of the project, as well as its objectives, budgeting and cost controls.

Last week, the government suspended GC Strategies' security status, which prevents it from bidding or working on government contracts.

The suspension came after the auditor general found government organizations that managed the project failed to keep accurate financial records and didn't deliver the best value for taxpayer money.

Auditor Karen Hogan says Ottawa drove up the cost of the project by relying on external contractors because it didn't have the resources needed to develop the app during the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.GC Strategies didn't respond to a request for comment.

Latest news

ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the
fintrac-warns-of-rising-child-sexual-extortion-cases-tied-to-organized-crime
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Fintrac warns of rising child sexual extortion cases tied to organized crime

Canada’s financial intelligence agency says financially motivated sexual extortion involving children is becoming more frequent, with many cases showing signs of organized criminal involvement. The Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada has issued a new alert urging banks and other reporting entities to watch for financial patterns that could signal online extortion or broader child exploitation activity. The agency notes that offenders often threaten to release intimate images or videos of young victims unless money or additional content is provided. Officials say the
AlbertaNov 27, 2025

Alberta pair charged in historic northern Ontario sexual assault case

Alberta RCMP say two people now living in Wetaskiwin County have been charged in connection with a sexual assault investigation launched in northern Ontario, involving incidents reported to have occurred several years ago. According to the Ontario Provincial Police, the alleged offences took place in Gillies Township, a rural community southwest of Thunder Bay, between 2020 and 2022. Investigators have charged a 73-year-old man with two counts of sexual interference and two counts of sexual assault involving a person under the age of 16. A 63-year-old woman is facing three counts of assault. P
alberta-premier-says-ucp-mlas-prepared-to-answer-recall-challenges
AlbertaNov 27, 2025

Alberta premier says UCP MLAs prepared to answer recall challenges

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says members of her United Conservative caucus are ready to defend their work as several MLAs face active recall petitions across the province. More than a dozen campaigns have been launched under Alberta’s recall legislation, which allows constituents to attempt to remove an elected official before the next general election. Smith pointed to two senior ministers as examples of what she described as a strong government record. She said Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides has overseen significant increases to school operating and capital budgets, and that Se

Related News