18.98°C Vancouver

Aug 22, 2024 6:37 PM - The Canadian Press

More shelter beds for people in Victoria street camp cited by police for 'hostility'

Share On
more-shelter-beds-for-people-in-victoria-street-camp-cited-by-police-for-hostility
A statement from the Housing Ministry says that up to 72 new beds will be made available for people living on Pandora Avenue and elsewhere.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Dozens of new shelter beds are opening for people living on the streets in Victoria, including at an encampment where police escorts have been required for emergency responders.

A statement from the Housing Ministry says that up to 72 new beds will be made available for people living on Pandora Avenue and elsewhere.

It says BC Housing is funding up to 40 new spaces at shelters run by Our Place Society as well as 32 at a shelter operated by The Salvation Army.

Victoria Police last month announced that firefighters and paramedics would only attend the 900 block of Pandora Avenue with a police escort.

The move came after a paramedic was attacked and police were swarmed by a crowd, part of what police called an increase in "violence and hostility."

Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says it's "critical" that people experiencing homelessness have indoor shelter in order to get out of encampments.

"We are determined to provide a path out of homelessness and add even more housing throughout Victoria," he says in a statement.

The ministry says the spaces at Our Place Society shelters are for people 19 and older, while the Salvation Army spaces are for menseeking a recovery program.

Marianne Alto, mayor of Victoria, says in the provincial statement that she was "gratified" to see the new shelter spaces being made available.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa vows dollar-for-dollar tariff response

Canada has ended its latest round of trade negotiations with the United States after Ottawa said Washington changed key conditions near the deadline, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to recall Canadian negotiators from the talks. Carney said the revised U.S. terms were unreasonable and harmful to Canada’s interests. He said the government would move quickly to support Canadian workers and businesses affected by the trade measures and would respond to U.S. tariffs on a dollar-for-dollar basis. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, meanwhile, said Canada rejected an opportunity for a d
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News