17.96°C Vancouver

Mar 13, 2025 6:45 PM - The Canadian Press

Mom says Canadian woman in 'inhumane' U.S. detention, Global Affairs can't intervene

Share On
mom-says-canadian-woman-in-inhumane-u-s-detention-global-affairs-cant-intervene
Alexis Eagles says Vancouver businesswoman and former actress Jasmine Mooney is being detained at the San Luis Regional Detention Center with about 30 people in a single concrete cell.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Global Affairs says it can't intervene on behalf of a Canadian being held in an Arizona immigration detention centre, where the woman's mother says conditions are "inhumane and deeply concerning."

Alexis Eagles says Vancouver businesswoman and former actress Jasmine Mooney is being detained at the San Luis Regional Detention Center with about 30 people in a single concrete cell.

Eagles says in a social media post that the cell's fluorescent lights are never turned off, and there are no mats or blankets and limited bathroom facilities.

She says her daughter had been working in the United States but was detained at the U.S.-Mexico border crossing near San Diego, Calif., on March 3 after her visa was "denied."

Eagles says her 35-year-old daughter is not a criminal and there's no reason why her deportation has been delayed.

Global Affairs spokesman John Babcock says in response to questions about Mooney that the government is in contact with local authorities in Arizona about the detention of a Canadian but it can't intervene regarding entry and exit requirements of another country.

Babcock says consular officials are seeking to "gather additional information and to provide consular assistance," and that privacy considerations mean no more information can be disclosed.

Mooney's LinkedIn profile says she has been working as a business consultant in California and is involved in a canned water company.

Eagles says in a Facebook post that Mooney was held at the border for three days, then moved to San Diego before she and others were "forcibly removed from their cells at 3 a.m." and sent to the Arizona facility around March 9.

"What we have learned of the ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)system and its treatment of detainees is inhumane and deeply concerning," Eagles says.

"Being detained is one thing, but there’s NO excuse for the way people are treated while in custody or for the delays in deportation. They are not criminals, and they just want to go home."

Movie industry website IMBD shows she has film credits in movies as recent as 2015's "Badge of Honor," as well as "American Pie Presents: The Book of Love" and "Kid Cannabis."

In 2019, Mooney was named one of BC Business magazine's "30 under 30" young businesspeople to watch for her involvement in Vancouver's Banter Room restaurant.

The San Luis Regional Detention Center is a privately run facility about 30 kilometres south of Yuma, Ariz.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News