5.14°C Vancouver

Jul 30, 2024 6:34 PM - The Canadian Press

King Charles 'immensely saddened' by wildfire destruction in Jasper

Share On
king-charles-immensely-saddened-by-wildfire-destruction-in-jasper
Federal officials have said about one-third of the buildings in the Jasper townsite were lost in the blaze, and that there was little firefighters could do to combat an inferno so big and powerful.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

King Charles says he and his wife, Queen Camilla, are "immensely saddened" to see the damage from massive wildfires in Jasper National Park.

He says the picturesque Rocky Mountain tourist destination in Alberta is a "truly magical place" that has captivated travellers from Canada and abroad.

The King expressed sympathy for those whose lives and livelihoods have been affected, particularly those who have lost property and were forced out.

He thanked first responders, community volunteers and leaders who have stepped up to help and commended Canadians lending a hand.

Federal officials have said about one-third of the buildings in the Jasper townsite were lost in the blaze, and that there was little firefighters could do to combat an inferno so big and powerful.

About 25,000 people, including 5,000 town residents, were ordered to leave just over a week ago as the fast-moving flames approached.

"These are dark times, but we greatly admire the strength and resilience of so many people to persevere and rebuild," King Charles said in a written statement distributed through Rideau Hall.

"The number of firefighters who have come from across the world to offer their services speaks not only to the sense of solidarity that exists within that professional community, but also the high regard in which Canada and Canadians are held around the world."

Royalty first came to visit the park in 1939, when King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, stayed at the Jasper Park Lodge’s Outlook Cabin. Their daughter, Queen Elizabeth II, stayed there with her husband, Prince Philip, in 2005.

Latest news

alberta-premier-says-ucp-mlas-prepared-to-answer-recall-challenges
AlbertaNov 27, 2025

Alberta premier says UCP MLAs prepared to answer recall challenges

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says members of her United Conservative caucus are ready to defend their work as several MLAs face active recall petitions across the province. More than a dozen campaigns have been launched under Alberta’s recall legislation, which allows constituents to attempt to remove an elected official before the next general election. Smith pointed to two senior ministers as examples of what she described as a strong government record. She said Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides has overseen significant increases to school operating and capital budgets, and that Se
former-surrey-employee-charged-after-police-probe-alleged-2-5m-municipal-fraud
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Former Surrey employee charged after police probe alleged $2.5M municipal fraud

Surrey police say a former municipal staff member is facing several criminal charges after an investigation into what officials describe as a multi-year fraud that cost the city an estimated $2.5 million. The case began last year when the City of Surrey reported financial irregularities involving its internal payment systems. According to the Surrey Police Service, the RCMP’s economic crimes unit examined allegations that the employee had gained unauthorized access to municipal financial platforms and created fraudulent documentation connected to her duties. Investigators allege the actions
one-person-killed-in-tractor-trailer-collision-on-highway-1-near-lytton
BCNov 26, 2025

One person killed in tractor-trailer collision on Highway 1 near Lytton

A man has died following a collision between two transport trucks on Highway 1 in the Fraser Canyon, a stretch of roadway heavily used by commercial drivers moving goods through British Columbia. The crash happened Monday morning on Tank Hill Bridge, north of Lytton, and is now the focus of a police investigation into whether criminal driving behaviour may have contributed. BC Highway Patrol says the collision occurred shortly before 9 a.m. when a northbound Kenworth truck hauling two empty flat-deck trailers struck a southbound Volvo pulling two enclosed trailers. The 49-year-old Volvo driver
new-westminster-police-respond-to-three-pedestrian-collisions-in-three-days
BCNov 26, 2025

New Westminster police respond to three pedestrian collisions in three days

New Westminster police are urging drivers and pedestrians to take extra care after officers were called to three separate collisions involving people on foot over a three day period. The incidents, which occurred between November 22 and November 24, came at a time when shorter daylight hours are already increasing safety risks on city streets. The first collision was reported on November 22 in the 500 block of 6th Street, where a man told 9-1-1 he had been struck by a vehicle. Emergency crews from New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services and BC Emergency Health Services assessed the victim, wh
pedestrian-dies-after-collision-on-vedder-road-in-chilliwack
BCNov 26, 2025

Pedestrian dies after collision on Vedder Road in Chilliwack

A woman has died after being struck by a pickup truck while crossing Vedder Road in Chilliwack on Tuesday afternoon. RCMP say the collision happened around 4:20 p.m. in a busy stretch of the roadway between the Highway 1 overpass and Luckakuck Way, an area often used by commuters and nearby commercial traffic. Investigators report that the 63-year-old pedestrian had crossed into the centre median before stepping back into the southbound lane, where she was hit by a 2007 GMC Sierra driven by a 63-year-old man. Police say the driver and several witnesses stopped immediately and attempted first a

Related News