22.07°C Vancouver

Apr 23, 2021 3:32 PM -

Key measure suggests Canada's COVID-19 surge could be slowing down, says Tam

Share On
key-measure-suggests-canadas-covid-19-surge-could-be-slowing-down-says-tam
Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu receives a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine from Brian Gray, Director of Oak Medical Arts – Mountdale Pharmacy, in Thunder Bay, Ont., Friday, April 23, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/David Jackson

Canada's top public health doctor says there's been an increase of more than 200,000 COVID-19 cases since last month, but there are signs the epidemic is easing.

Dr. Theresa Tam says average case counts have more than doubled over the past month, with upwards of 8,400 infections reported daily over the last week.

But Tam says there's reason for hope due to Canada's declining reproduction rate, which represents how many people are infected by each new case.

She says this measure has fallen below the key threshold of one for the first time in weeks, meaning the rate of transmission is trending downwards.

Tam credits this progress to the restrictions hard-hit provinces have implemented in recent weeks to contain the spread of more contagious variants of the virus.

The data suggest these variants of concern make up more than half of recently reported infections.

Latest news

police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three
bc-transit-services-expand-in-kamloops
BCAug 29, 2025

BC Transit services expand in Kamloops

People using transit in Kamloops will see improved and expanded transit options with extended hours of service on several routes starting Monday, Sept. 1, 2025. “Extending handyDART hours and adding service on statutory holidays means more people in Kamloops will have access to the custom transportation service they rely on when they need it,” said George Anderson, parliamentary secretary for transit. “This expansion supports a more inclusive, connected community and ensures that transit keeps pace with the needs of our growing province.” To support increasing ridership and convenient
cbsa-plans-to-use-ai-to-screen-people-entering-the-country
CanadaAug 29, 2025

CBSA plans to use AI to screen people entering the country

The Canada Border Services Agency is working on an AI-based tool to screen all people and goods entering Canada and assess whether they are at risk of breaking the law. The tool aims to help border service officers decide who to send for secondary inspection. The AI tool could be implemented as early as 2027. Anyone identified as a higher risk could be selected for further inspection. Details about the tool are limited at this time, but it aims to use data to predict which individuals may pose a security or legal threat. However, experts are concerned that officers may be relying too heavily
fiona-wilson-takes-over-as-victoria-police-departments-first-female-chief
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Fiona Wilson takes over as Victoria Police Department's first female chief

Vancouver Police Department veteran Fiona Wilson took over as Victoria Police Department's first female chief on Thursday. The official "change of command" ceremony was held at Government House Victoria. Wilson spent 26 years with the Vancouver Police Department and was interim chief of the Vancouver Police Department before taking over as Victoria's chief police officer. he replaces Del Manak, who is retiring after 35 years of service. Former Chief Manak said this is a historic moment for the people of our city and the police department, which is now headed by a woman and I am very proud to b
first-degree-murder-conviction-by-jury-in-2017-murder-of-nicholas-khabra
BCAug 28, 2025

First-degree murder conviction by jury in 2017 murder of Nicholas Khabra

Nicholas Khabra, 28, was shot dead in Surrey on October 23, 2017. In May 2018, the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, began a joint investigation into the case, during which several suspects were under investigation, including Brandon Teixeira. Brandon Texeira has now been found guilty of first-degree murder. Connect FM spoke to CFSEU ​​spokesperson Cpl. Sarbjit Sangha regarding the case, she said “obtaining charges against Texeira was not an easy process. She added, “there was an attempt to arrest Teixeira in 2018, but he eluded

Related News