12.71°C Vancouver

May 27, 2022 6:18 PM - THE CANADIAN PRESS

Judge denies bail for protester charged in southern Alberta border blockade

Share On

A judge has denied bail for a man charged with conspiracy to commit murder at a border blockade in southern Alberta.

Chris Carbert, who is 45, appeared by video in Court of Queen's Bench in Lethbridge today to hear the decision after a bail hearing last Friday.

Reasons for Justice Johnna Kubik's ruling are protected by a publication ban.

Carbert and three other men are accused of conspiring to kill police officers at a blockade near Coutts, Alta., in protest of COVID-19 vaccine mandates and other pandemic restrictions.

One of the men, Christopher Lysak, was denied bail in March. Anthony Olienick, whose bail hearing began this morning, and Jerry Morin also remain in custody. The protest near Coutts began in late January and lasted for almost three weeks.

Latest news

AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa
abbotsford-police-arrest-suspect-in-two-armed-street-robberies
BCMay 19, 2026

Abbotsford police arrest suspect in two armed street robberies

Abbotsford Police say a South Asian male youth has been arrested in connection with two separate armed street robberies reported in the city last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspect. According to police, the first incident happened on April 14 near the intersection of McClure Road and Trethewey Street during the afternoon hours. The second robbery was reported on April 30 at night near Exhibition Park along the Discovery Trail. Investigators allege the same suspect was involved in both incidents. Police said the victims were threatened with a firearm and had jewelry stolen d
poilievre-criticizes-federal-government-after-latest-inflation-report
BCMay 19, 2026

Poilievre criticizes federal government after latest inflation report

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is criticizing the federal government following the release of the latest inflation figures from Statistics Canada, saying rising living costs continue to put pressure on Canadian families. In a statement issued after the report was released, Poilievre said food prices are increasing faster than the overall inflation rate and argued Canadians are paying more for everyday essentials while receiving less in return. He also pointed to continued high energy and fuel prices, saying the cost of living remains a major concern for households across the country. Poi
daylight-shooting-in-langley-leaves-27-year-old-man-injured
BCMay 19, 2026

Daylight shooting in Langley leaves 27-year-old man injured

A 27-year-old man was injured in a daytime shooting in Langley on Saturday, with police saying the incident is believed to be targeted and the investigation remains ongoing. Langley RCMP said officers responded to reports of an assault in the 5400 block of Brydon Crescent at approximately 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital for treatment. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom said in a statement that investigators are working to determine the circumstances and motive behind the shooting. Police have not released information about any suspe

Related News