16°C Vancouver

Jul 22, 2024 4:59 PM - The Canadian Press

Interest rate cut possible this week: Economists

Share On
interest-rate-cut-possible-this-week-economists
The mother of a boy who died a year ago in a Nova Scotia flood says her grief returns daily, along with frustration over what she considers the province's slow pace in reforming its preparations for climate disasters.(Image: The Canadian Press)

Here is a roundup of stories from The Canadian Press designed to bring you up to speed...

Interest rate cut possible this week: Economists

Economists and market watchers are betting the Bank of Canada will deliver another interest rate cut this week amid mounting evidence that inflation is sustainably easing.

Expectations that the bank will lower its overnight lending rate when it makes its scheduled announcement Wednesday have been high since last week's release of the latest Statistics Canada inflation report, which showed annual inflation cooled to 2.7 per cent in June.

The inflation reading was less than the 2.8 per cent that markets had been expecting and has helped to build market confidence that the Bank of Canada may be poised for a second rate cut, on top of the 25-basis-point cut it announced last month.

Last month's interest rate cut, which reduced the central bank's key rate from five to 4.75 per cent, was the first in more than four years.

Royce Mendes with Desjardins says in addition to the latest inflation report, recent data showing rising unemployment as well as subdued expectations for growth by Canadian businesses all support the prospect of another cut.

While inflation remains higher than the Bank of Canada's two per cent target, Mendes said he believes delaying any longer could have negative repercussions.

Here's what else we're watching...

LCBO workers back on the job after ratifying deal

Workers are back on the job today at Ontario's main liquor retailer, but the Liquor Control Board of Ontario says stores won't be open for business until Tuesday.

The union representing 10,000 of its workers announced Sunday members had ratified a new deal with the liquor retailer to end a strike that had closed its stores for two weeks.

The ratification came after the deal seemed to be up in the air on Friday.

Both OPSEU and the LCBO had announced a tentative agreement had been reached but the union said the strike would continue after the employer refused to sign a return-to-work protocol.

The retailer said the union had introduced new monetary demands and the employer would file an unfair labour practice complaint.

But the LCBO issued a statement on Saturday saying reopening plans were back underway, and a return-to-work protocol signed by both parties does not include any "new monetary items."

A look at one year of strong mayor powers

In the year since so-called strong mayor powers were granted to the heads of council in a swath of Ontario municipalities, most mayors have used them sparingly — if at all — though in some corners a sense of unease with the sweeping authority remains.

As of this month, nearly 30 mayors have had the ability for a year or more to propose bylaws and pass them with the support of one-third of councillors, veto bylaws and hire and fire department heads, among other powers.

Premier Doug Ford's government later doled out the powers to many more mayors, even when they were not interested in receiving them, and Ontario now has a total of 46 strong mayors.

Many of them are in the province's largest cities, and the chair of the Ontario Big City Mayors group said by and large the mayors have "exercised enormous restraint and responsibility" in exercising the powers.

Year after flood took four lives, reforms are slow

The mother of a boy who died a year ago in a Nova Scotia flood says her grief returns daily, along with frustration over what she considers the province's slow pace in reforming its preparations for climate disasters.

Tera Sisco's six-year-old son Colton Sisco died after the vehicle he was in overturned during torrential thunderstorms on July 22, 2023. About 258 millimetres of rain to the municipality of West Hants — a rural area northwest of Halifax — fell during the overnight flash flood.

Natalie Harnish, six, died in the same vehicle as Sisco, while 52-year-old Nick Holland and 14-year-old Terri-Lynn Keddy were swept away from a vehicle on the same road and also died.

The tragedy has drawn repeated calls for the Progressive Conservative government to improve the province's emergency alert system, as severe weather events are hitting the province with disturbing regularity.

A recent review released by the municipality of West Hants said two hours and 41 minutes passed between the first rescue responses and the province sending an alert urging citizens to "shelter in place." Blair Feltmate, director of the Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation at the University of Waterloo has called that "far too long a delay.”

Elation in Newfoundland town for rescued fishers

There was a powerful word being repeated in the joyful Newfoundland community of New-Wes-Valley on Sunday: "Miracle."

Over and over, residents out walking or chatting to one another in local stores described the rescue of seven fishermen from the area who had somehow survived two days in a life-raft on the Atlantic ocean as nothing short of miraculous.

The Elite Navigator fishing boat and its crew seemed to vanish on Wednesday night after several days at sea fishing for turbot. The craft was reported missing on Thursday after transmitting its final signal at around 8:30 p.m. the night before, the Canadian Coast Guard said. The vessel had caught fire, forcing the crew to abandon the ship and wait for rescue on the life-raft.

In New-Wes-Valley, which is an amalgamation of three small fishing communities along Newfoundland's northeast coast, people braced for the worst. Fishing is among Canada's deadliest professions, and tragedy is a common thread linking coastal communities across Atlantic Canada.

Latest news

verdict-expected-in-edmonton-dog-attack-death-trial
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Verdict expected in Edmonton dog attack death trial

A judge is expected to deliver a verdict Friday in the criminal negligence trial of an Edmonton woman charged in the 2024 death of an 11-year-old boy killed by two dogs. Crystal MacDonald has pleaded not guilty to criminal negligence causing death in connection with the fatal attack on Kache Grist at her Edmonton home in April 2024. Court heard MacDonald and the boy’s father, Wesley Grist, were roommates at the time. Kache, who lived in British Columbia, was visiting Edmonton during spring break when the attack occurred. During testimony, MacDonald said she repeatedly warned Wesley Grist no
surrey-police-seek-help-identifying-robbery-suspect-near-central-skytrain-station
BCMay 22, 2026

Surrey police seek help identifying robbery suspect near Central SkyTrain Station

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect connected to an alleged robbery near Surrey Central SkyTrain Station last month. According to a Surrey Police Service release, frontline officers responded on April 24 at about 7:10 p.m. after two people reported they had been assaulted, robbed, and threatened near the station. Police said a pair of Meta smart glasses was taken during the incident. Investigators released a photo of the suspect and are asking anyone who recognizes the individual to come forward as the investigation continues. Police described the susp
rajya-sabha-mp-harbhajan-singh-accuses-aap-leadership-of-selling-punjab-posts-after-joining-bjp
IndiaMay 22, 2026

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh accuses AAP leadership of “selling” Punjab posts after joining BJP

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh, who recently left the Aam Aadmi Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, has accused the AAP leadership of exploiting Punjab in a social media post containing a series of corruption allegations. Singh alleged that the party leadership had “sold everything,” including Rajya Sabha seats from Punjab and ministerial positions, claiming appointments were allegedly made in exchange for money. He further stated that he would reveal how certain individuals were appointed as ministers and officials “to loot Punjab” and deliver the proceeds to a person he refe
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Former Durham officer arrested in Alberta on multiple sexual assault charges

Alberta RCMP have arrested a former Durham Regional Police officer who is facing multiple sexual assault and breach of trust charges linked to alleged incidents dating back more than 20 years. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said the alleged offences occurred in 2003 and were investigated at the time. The civilian police watchdog said the case was reopened in 2024 after the complainant provided new information. The SIU said a Canada-wide warrant was issued for Kevin Seamons. RCMP arrested him in Alberta on Wednesday night. Seamons faces six counts of sexual assault, one count of sexual
carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern

Related News