22.03°C Vancouver

Dec 31, 2025 2:04 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Harman Bhangu signals possible bid for B.C. Conservative leadership

Share On
harman-bhangu-signals-possible-bid-for-b-c-conservative-leadership
B.C. Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu speaks with supporters following his election in Abbotsford-Langley in 2024. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

B.C. Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu says he is leaning toward entering the race for the party’s leadership, but will wait to make a final decision until the rules are formally released in the new year.

Bhangu, who represents Abbotsford-Langley, said he expects the party to outline the leadership framework in the second or third week of January. He noted that the structure of the race, including timelines and fundraising requirements, will play a key role in whether he puts his name forward.

His comments come days after federal Conservative MP Aaron Gunn confirmed he will not seek the provincial party’s leadership. Bhangu has previously said he would not run against Gunn, describing him as a close ally since the early days of the party’s resurgence.

Elected in 2024 after working as a truck driver and serving as a party vice-president, Bhangu has been actively gauging support. He said feedback from party members and supporters has been encouraging, adding that the prospect of his candidacy remains strong. Bhangu was among five Conservative MLAs who voted in October in favour of banning land acknowledgments by public employees.

Bhangu said the potential for a snap provincial election is also a consideration, noting that a leader would need to quickly mobilize fundraising and organizational resources. If he runs, he said economic issues would be a central focus, pointing to affordability pressures and his experience in the transportation sector.

Several names have been linked informally to the leadership contest, but no official candidates have emerged. Bhangu said many potential contenders are holding back until the party releases full details of the race.

Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News