16.32°C Vancouver

Jan 9, 2025 1:12 PM - The Canadian Press

Gaza's Health Ministry says the Palestinian death toll from the war has surpassed 46,000

Share On
gazas-health-ministry-says-the-palestinian-death-toll-from-the-war-has-surpassed-46-000
The Israeli military says it has killed over 17,000 militants, without providing evidence. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

More than 46,000 Palestinians have been killed inthe Israel-Hamas war, Gaza's Health Ministry said Thursday, as the conflict raged into a 16th month with no end in sight.

The ministry said a total of 46,006 Palestinians have been killed and 109,378 wounded. It has said women and childrenmake up more than half the fatalities, but does not say how many of the dead were fighters or civilians.

The Israeli military says it has killed over 17,000 militants, without providing evidence. It says it tries to avoid harming civilians and blames Hamas for their deaths because the militants operate in residential areas. Israel has also repeatedly struck what it claims are militants hiding in shelters and hospitals, often killing women and children.

The war began when Hamas-led militants stormed into Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting around 250. Some 100 hostages are still inside Gaza. Israeli authorities believe at least a third of them were killed in the initial attack or have died in captivity.

The war has flattened large areas of Gaza and displaced around 90% of its 2.3 million people, with many forced to flee multiple times. Hundreds of thousands are packed into sprawling tent camps along the coast with limited access to food and other essentials.

In recent weeks, Israel and Hamashave appeared to inch closerto an agreement for a ceasefire and the release of hostages. But the indirect talks mediated by the United States, Qatar and Egypt have repeatedly stalled over the past year, and major obstacles remain.

Latest news

BCAug 17, 2026

B.C. Conservatives Slam Eby Cabinet Shuffle

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad and Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Eleanor Sturko have sharply criticized Premier David Eby’s latest cabinet shuffle. Rustad described the new appointments - including Josie Osborne as finance minister and Ravi Kahlon as health minister - as little more than a “musical chairs” exercise. He argued that replacing ministers will not address the province’s growing tax burden and large deficits, saying the Eby government has no concrete plan to bring spending and finances under control. Sturko, meanwhile, accused the NDP government of failing to address hom
shots-fired-at-abbotsford-home-while-family-was-sleeping
BCAug 17, 2026

Shots Fired at Abbotsford Home While Family Was Sleeping

A shooting at a home in Abbotsford is under investigation after several bullets were fired at the residence early Sunday morning. Police say they were called around 1 a.m. on August 16 to a home in the 2100 block of Enderby Street, near McMillan Road, after receiving reports of gunfire. When officers arrived, they found that the home had been struck by multiple bullets. Family members were inside the residence and asleep at the time of the shooting. Fortunately, no one was injured. The Abbotsford Police Major Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. Based on the initial findings, police do
IndiaAug 17, 2026

BJP Announces Major Organisational Reshuffle Ahead of 2027 Punjab Assembly Polls

Ahead of the 2027 Punjab Assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has carried out a major organisational reshuffle, handing key responsibilities to two prominent leaders associated with Punjab. Under the new appointments announced by BJP national president Nitin Nabin, former Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal has been appointed as the party’s National Vice-President. Meanwhile, BJP National General Secretary Tarun Chugh has been given the additional responsibility of being in charge of the party’s national headquarters. The appointments give Punjab representation at
historic-energy-deal-reached-between-quebec-and-newfoundland-and-labrador
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Historic Energy Deal Reached Between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a historic energy agreement between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador, raising hopes that the decades-old dispute between the two provinces over the Churchill River hydroelectric projects will finally come to an end. The energy projects, worth approximately $70 billion, will also receive significant support from the federal government. Ottawa has announced $10 billion in financial assistance for the expansion of the Churchill Falls power projects, the Gull Island hydroelectric project and a 2,000-megawatt onshore wind energy project in Labrador. Prim
AlbertaAug 17, 2026

Edmonton Teen Girl Dies After Weekend Shooting

Police in Edmonton are investigating a weekend shooting that claimed the life of a 16-year-old girl. Officers were called to an area in northeast Edmonton on Sunday morning, where they found the teenager suffering from serious injuries. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene. The Edmonton Police Service said homicide investigators have taken over the investigation.

Related News