23.36°C Vancouver

Apr 16, 2025 6:15 PM - Connect Newsroom

Former Minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot Released on Bail

Share On
former-minister-sadhu-singh-dharamsot-released-on-bail
Dharamsot had been in custody for nearly 14 months. He was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) over allegations of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.

Former Punjab Congress Cabinet Minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot has been released from Nabha Jail after being granted bail by the Supreme Court in a disproportionate assets case. Although the bail was approved yesterday, his release was delayed due to technical reasons.

Dharamsot had been in custody for nearly 14 months. He was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) over allegations of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.

According to the ED, during his tenure as Punjab’s Forest Minister from March 2016 to March 2022, Dharamsot declared an income of ₹2.37 crore, while his total expenditure amounted to ₹8.76 crore, raising questions about the source of the excess funds.

Latest news

poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to
metro-vancouver-workers-escalate-job-action-over-burrard-inlet-dredging
BCAug 18, 2026

Metro Vancouver Workers Escalate Job Action Over Burrard Inlet Dredging

Unionized Metro Vancouver outside workers have stepped up job action, with picket lines established at two water main projects in Vancouver and North Vancouver. The Greater Vancouver Regional District Employees’ Union says the projects must be completed before planned dredging beneath the Second Narrows Ironworkers Memorial Bridge can begin in September. The dredging is intended to allow larger oil tankers carrying greater loads to navigate Burrard Inlet. The plan has received support from the federal government. The outside workers and Metro Vancouver have been without a new collective agre
hit-and-run-in-nanaimo-leaves-one-person-dead
BCAug 18, 2026

Hit-and-Run in Nanaimo Leaves One Person Dead

Nanaimo RCMP are investigating a hit-and-run collision that occurred on August 16 and resulted in the death of a pedestrian. According to police, the incident happened at around 1:48 a.m. at the intersection of Albert Street and Dunsmuir Street, where a vehicle struck a pedestrian. The driver fled the scene in the vehicle immediately after the collision. A frontline officer arrived at the scene and transported the seriously injured man to hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries. Police initially took one driver into custody, but the individual was released after investigators determ
IndiaAug 18, 2026

Amritpal Singh May Contest from Dhuri, Could Take on CM Bhagwant Mann

Ahead of the 2027 Punjab Assembly elections, Akali Dal (Waris Punjab De) is considering fielding jailed Khadoor Sahib MP Amritpal Singh from Dhuri, the constituency represented by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann. According to information, Amritpal Singh has expressed interest in contesting from Dhuri in addition to Khadoor Sahib. The party is also considering Talwandi Sabo and Rampura Phul as possible options. A party leader from Kotkapura said Amritpal Singh is interested in contesting from Dhuri. He said all options are being discussed and, based on the outcome of the meeting, a formal proposal
WorldAug 18, 2026

9 Migrants’ Bodies Recovered After Boat Capsizes Off Libya

The bodies of around nine migrants have been recovered from the coast over the past two days following a boat capsizing incident in the Tajoura area, east of Libya’s capital, Tripoli. The Tripoli Red Crescent said the bodies were found in the Tajoura area, about 22 kilometres from Tripoli. Local authorities said around 19 people were believed to have been aboard the boat, raising fears that more bodies could wash ashore in the coming days. The Red Crescent said search and recovery operations are continuing in coordination with the relevant authorities. Meanwhile, the rescue ship Ocean Viking

Related News