1.42°C Vancouver

Feb 18, 2026 3:23 PM - Connect Newsroom - Jasmine Singh

Fireworks shop explosion in central China leaves 12 dead, investigation underway

Share On

A powerful explosion at a fireworks retail shop in central China has left 12 people dead, according to local authorities. The blast occurred Wednesday in the city of Xiangyang, located in Hubei province.

Officials said the explosion triggered a large fire that destroyed an area of roughly 50 square metres around the store. Emergency response teams were dispatched to the scene shortly after the blast was reported. Firefighters brought the flames under control after several hours of rescue efforts.

Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause of the explosion and an investigation is ongoing. Industrial safety, particularly involving fireworks manufacturing and retail operations, has been a recurring concern in parts of China where such products are widely produced and sold.

In June, a separate explosion at a fireworks factory in neighbouring Hunan province killed nine people and injured 26 others, highlighting continued safety risks in the sector.

Latest news

alberta-mp-matt-jeneroux-joins-liberal-caucus-after-leaving-conservatives
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux joins Liberal caucus after leaving Conservatives

Alberta Member of Parliament Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservative Party to sit with the Liberal caucus. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the move on social media Tuesday morning, saying he was honoured to welcome Jeneroux as the newest member of the government caucus. Jeneroux, who represents an Edmonton-area riding, had previously indicated he intended to resign his seat later this year. The decision follows recent caucus changes in Ottawa. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia MP Chris d'Entremont also left the Conservatives to join the Liberals
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta petition to end public funding for private schools fails to meet signature threshold

A citizen-led petition calling on the Alberta government to end public funding for accredited private schools has fallen short of the number of signatures required to trigger further legislative consideration. In a statement released Tuesday, Chief Electoral Officer Gordon McClure confirmed that just over 124,000 Albertans signed the initiative petition. Under provincial rules, organizers needed approximately 177,000 valid signatures to meet the threshold set out in Alberta’s citizen initiative legislation. The petition was launched by Calgary teacher Alicia Taylor. It asked voters whether t
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Fireworks shop explosion in central China leaves 12 dead, investigation underway

A powerful explosion at a fireworks retail shop in central China has left 12 people dead, according to local authorities. The blast occurred Wednesday in the city of Xiangyang, located in Hubei province. Officials said the explosion triggered a large fire that destroyed an area of roughly 50 square metres around the store. Emergency response teams were dispatched to the scene shortly after the blast was reported. Firefighters brought the flames under control after several hours of rescue efforts. Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause of the explosion and an investigation is ongoing. Ind
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-one-week-before-provincial-budget
FeaturedFeb 18, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address one week before provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will address Albertans in a televised speech on Thursday, one week before the province’s 2026 budget is tabled in the legislature. Smith made the announcement during an unrelated news conference in Calgary but did not provide details on what topics she intends to cover. A spokesperson for the Premier’s Office said further information about the address would be released at a later time. The speech comes ahead of Finance Minister Nate Horner’s scheduled budget presentation on Feb. 26. The government has already signalled that the fiscal plan will ref
alberta-to-invest-400-million-dollars-in-new-water-bombers-to-modernize-wildfire-fleet
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta to invest 400 million dollars in new water bombers to modernize wildfire fleet

The Alberta government says it will spend 400 million dollars to strengthen its aging fleet of water bombers, part of a long term strategy to address increasingly severe wildfire seasons across the province. Premier Danielle Smith announced the agreement with De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, which is expected to deliver the first of five new aircraft in 2031. The remaining planes will be phased in over subsequent years. Smith said the investment is separate from the roughly 160 million dollars Alberta allocates annually for wildfire response operations. The province has faced longer and more d

Related News