24.87°C Vancouver

Nov 17, 2020 8:27 PM -

Father of the man who killed 10 people in Toronto's van attack says his son has not shown remorse

Share On
father-of-the-man-who-killed-10-people-in-torontos-van-attack-says-his-son-has-not-shown-remorse
Alek Minassian is shown in a handout photo. Minassian, the 28-year-old man set to stand trial for killing 10 people and hurting 16 others after driving a van down a busy Toronto sidewalk, is expected to raise a defence of being not criminally responsible for his actions.THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO

The father of the man who killed 10 people in Toronto's van attack says he is not tailoring his testimony to help his son.

Vahe Minassian is being questioned by the prosecution today at the murder trial of his son, Alek Minassian.

The younger Minassian has pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

He has admitted to planning and carrying out the 2018 attack, and his lawyer has said Minassian should be found not criminally responsible for his actions due to autism.

Vahe Minassian told court yesterday that his son has not shown remorse or apologized for his actions.

He says his son told him he hasn't done anything wrong.

Latest news

majithia-hints-at-possible-revival-of-akali-bjp-alliance-in-punjab
IndiaAug 21, 2026

Majithia hints at possible revival of Akali-BJP alliance in Punjab

Senior Shiromani Akali Dal leader Bikram Singh Majithia has made a significant statement regarding the possibility of a renewed alliance between the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), saying that people in Punjab want the two parties to come together again. Majithia said the situation on the alliance would become completely clear in the coming days and that the top leadership of both parties would sit together and take a final decision. He said the two parties had gone their separate ways following the controversy over the farm laws, but the situation in Punjab has
BCAug 21, 2026

One Person Dies After Drowning in Cultus Lake Near Chilliwack

One person died after drowning in the waters of Cultus Lake near Chilliwack on Thursday afternoon. It is the second fatal incident in the Entrance Bay area in less than two weeks. According to Chilliwack RCMP Media Relations Officer Cpl. Carmen Kiener, police received a report at approximately 1:12 p.m. Thursday about a person missing in the water near Entrance Bay. The individual had reportedly been on an inflatable boat before going missing. After about an hour and a half of searching, the person was pulled from the water at approximately 2:40 p.m. First responders immediately performed CPR,
CanadaAug 21, 2026

Canada-U.S. trade talks continue as tariff deadline approaches

A deadline for a potential 50 per cent U.S. tariff on about $28 billion worth of Canadian exports is set to expire at midnight, as Canadian and U.S. officials work to finalize a trade agreement. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the two countries are close to reaching a deal. Canada’s chief trade negotiator, Janice Charette, is also meeting with U.S. officials in what is being described as a final effort to reach an agreement. According to sources cited in the supplied report, the proposed deal could reduce tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum from 50 per cent to 25 per cent. Tariffs on
BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa
carney-speaks-with-mexican-president-sheinbaum-on-trade-cusma-and-wildfire-cooperation
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney speaks with Mexican President Sheinbaum on trade, CUSMA and wildfire cooperation

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to discuss bilateral trade relations and ways to strengthen trade across North America. During the conversation, Carney thanked Sheinbaum for Mexico’s support in Canada’s wildfire response, including the deployment of more than 400 firefighters and support personnel. The two leaders also discussed ongoing developments affecting the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), stressing the importance of advancing the agreement to protect businesses and workers and provide greater stability in trade. Carney

Related News