20.28°C Vancouver

Jun 16, 2025 1:03 AM -

Extortion-focused safety forum held in Surrey

Share On
extortion-focused-safety-forum-held-in-surrey
Surrey Safety Community Forum was held on Sunday afternoon from 2pm to 4pm at the Reflections Banquet Hall in Surrey. (Image - Connect FM)

A series of violent shootings in Surrey over the past few days amid extortion calls has led many in the community to ask questions about safety.

Meanwhile, in response to community concerns, the Surrey Safety Community Forum was held on Sunday afternoon from 2pm to 4pm at the Reflections Banquet Hall in Surrey.

This is the same location where a similar forum was held about a year and a half ago on the same issue.

MP Sukh Dhaliwal, provincial Public Safety Minister Garry Begg, Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke, Surrey Police Chief Chief Constable Norm Lipinski, and RCMP Chief Superintendent Wendy Mehat were on hand to serve as keynote speakers at the forum and take questions from reporters.

In addition, the provincial Leader of the Opposition, John Rustad, and Langley City MP Tamara Jansen also participated as speakers and asked some questions criticizing the actions of the provincial and federal governments regarding extortion calls.

Forum organizers Vinay Sharma and Satish Kumar said during the initial conversation that there were many commitments from the police and the government regarding extortion threats and the recent increase in shootings and violent incidents related to it, but its impact is not visible on those who commit the incidents.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg said the provincial government is ready to support local police in every way possible on this issue and that more than $100 million is being spent annually on specialized enforcement and intelligence programs to combat organized crime in B.C.

Meanwhile, Mayor Locke said that policing in Surrey today is under threat and the city is not getting the service it deserves. She called for better support, especially from the provincial and federal governments.

Chief Constable Norm Lipinski, in response to a question, said that no one has been charged in recent extortion cases.

Chief Superintendent Wendy Mehat, in response to a question, said she did not have a firm figure on how many ransom calls had been reported, including those for which information about the ransom calls was not shared.

In the past, questions were also being raised as to why SPS did not share any information after shots were fired at the same house in the Panorama area until a TV news channel reported on it.

In this regard, Connect FM asked Chief Norm Lipinski what the process is for notifying the general public about shootings and firearms incidents, and at what point does public safety outweigh privacy concerns.

At this, Chief Lipinski explained the process and clarified that public safety is always the top priority for the police.

However, during the closing comments after the question-and-answer session ended, Satish Kumar, who faced these extortion calls, sternly questioned the SPS and RCMP and said has the time come when the police are no longer ensuring the safety of the people and should ordinary people now start carrying weapons to deal with this?

Representatives of governments at all levels and police officials asked for confidence and, without giving any time frame, said that some specific decisions and important actions in the cases would soon be seen.

Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News