17.25°C Vancouver

Nov 26, 2024 6:27 PM - The Canadian Press

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Share On
economic-impact-of-taylor-swifts-eras-tour-in-vancouver-estimated-at-157-m
Mayor Ken Sim says in a news release about the economic impact that he is "thrilled" Vancouver was chosen to host the last stop on Swift's tour.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Tourism body Destination Vancouver says Taylor Swift will bring an estimated $157 million economic impact to the city next week with the three final concert dates of the record-breaking Eras Tour.

Destination Vancouver says the forecast includes $97 million in direct spending on items including accommodation, food and transport.

It says the Eras Tour is expected to bring more than 150,000 Swifties to BC Place over the three shows from Dec. 6 to 8, and has resulted in more than 82,000 rooms booked across the region.

The tourism organization made the calculations with BC Pavilion Corporation, which operates BC Place, and says 70 per cent of direct spending will be from out-of-town fans.

It says the economic boost will bring more than $27 million in total tax revenue for all three levels of government.

The Vancouver dates that close out Swift's two-year world tour come after six sold-out concerts at Toronto's Roger's Arena, which spanned two weeks and concluded Saturday.

Destination Toronto had estimated $152 million in direct spending, which was expected to grow to $282 million as the money continued to circulate.

The Eras Tour has touched down in five continents and will have clocked nearly 150 performances by the time it's over.

Destination Vancouver says fan events are planned across the city, including 13 Taylor Swift-themed lighting installations in the downtown core starting Friday and ending a week later on the day of the first show.

"Destination Vancouver volunteers will be on hand to assist fans with directions and information over the concert weekend and to hand out special ‘Vancouver’ friendship bracelets," the organization says.

Mayor Ken Sim says in a news release about the economic impact that he is "thrilled" Vancouver was chosen to host the last stop on Swift's tour.

"This iconic event hasn’t just captivated audiences around the world, it has translated into a huge economic boost for every city it has visited, and Vancouver is no exception," Sim says.

"Vancouver is proud to be a world-class city, and hosting an event of this scale only strengthens our place as a top-tier global destination."

Destination Vancouver says B.C. charities have also been "significantly boosted over the last month through donations of tickets and prize packages" via its Community Benefits Program, with the tickets auctioned or raffled to raise funds.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News