6.4°C Vancouver

Oct 31, 2024 3:35 PM - The Canadian Press

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.

Share On
drug-trafficking-investigation-leads-to-charges-against-19-people-in-northern-b-c
The unit says the Public Prosecution Service of Canada approved charges this month against 19 people ranging in age from 24 to 63 years old.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Federal prosecutors have approved charges against 19 people, eight of them still at large, after an investigation into what police call a violent drug trafficking network in northeastern British Columbia.

A statement from B.C.'s Combined Special Forces Enforcement Unit says two of the 11 people who were arrested remain in custody, while the others have been released with conditions as they move through the judicial process.

It says the other eight, all men, are wanted on outstanding charges that include trafficking, possession of a restricted firearm and careless use or storage of a gun.

The unit says it began an investigation in June 2022, working alongside police in Fort St. John, Dawson Creek and Fort Nelson to target alleged drug trafficking and "violent activity" threatening public safety.

It says the execution of search warrants in several Peace Region communities between October 2022 and January 2023 turned up illicit drugs and guns and led to the arrests of 23 people who were released while prosecutors considered charges.

The unit says the Public Prosecution Service of Canada approved charges this month against 19 people ranging in age from 24 to 63 years old.

The investigation "unveiled an alleged drug trafficking network causing significant harm to the Peace Region communities," Sgt. Brenda Winpenny with the combined special forces unit said in the statement issued Wednesday.

Several of those charged are facing one count of drug possession or trafficking, while one man from Fort St. John faces seven counts of trafficking.

Police are asking for the public's help in locating the eight men at large, and anyone with information is asked to call local police or Crime Stoppers.

Latest news

police-examine-shooting-that-damaged-home-in-north-surrey
BCNov 27, 2025

Police examine shooting that damaged home in north Surrey

Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP’s Provincial Operations Support Unit say they are reviewing evidence after shots were fired at a home in the Fraser Heights area early Thursday morning. Officers were called around 3:05 am to a residence near 112 Street and 153A Street, where they confirmed the house had been struck by gunfire. Police say no one was hurt. The General Investigation Unit with the RCMP support unit has taken over the file and is gathering surveillance footage and witness statements. Investigators are also checking whether the incident may connect to other recent police
richmond-rcmp-warns-residents-as-sophisticated-grandparent-scams-resurface
BCNov 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns residents as sophisticated grandparent scams resurface

Richmond RCMP is urging residents to be cautious after a recent rise in reports of so-called grandparent scams, a type of fraud that often targets seniors but can impact anyone who receives an unexpected call claiming a loved one is in trouble. Investigators say the scams share a common pattern in which suspects create panic and pressure victims into paying large sums of money. Police say one of the latest cases involved a caller pretending to be an official with a foreign embassy. The scammer told the victim that their grandson had been detained and that urgent bail money was required. The vi
mission-rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-after-violent-home-invasion-and-weapons-theft
BCNov 27, 2025

Mission RCMP seeks public assistance after violent home invasion and weapons theft

Mission RCMP says investigators are searching for two outstanding suspects after a violent home invasion earlier this month that left several residents injured and resulted in the theft of multiple long guns. Police were called to a home around 1:30 a.m. on November 13, where intruders allegedly forced their way inside, used pepper spray on the occupants, and struck one person with a crowbar. Officers say one suspect was injured during the altercation with the homeowner before fleeing. About half an hour later, staff at a local hospital reported that a man with suspicious injuries had been dro
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the

Related News