10.79°C Vancouver

Mar 19, 2026 6:51 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur

Dozens of commercial vehicles sidelined after Burnaby inspection finds safety violations

Share On
dozens-of-commercial-vehicles-sidelined-after-burnaby-inspection-finds-safety-violations
The operation, conducted Feb. 25 by the Lower Mainland Commercial Vehicle Enforcement group, took place along Marine Way near Roseberry Avenue.

A targeted commercial vehicle inspection in South Burnaby last month led to more than half of the trucks checked being taken off the road due to safety concerns, according to a police release.

The operation, conducted Feb. 25 by the Lower Mainland Commercial Vehicle Enforcement group, took place along Marine Way near Roseberry Avenue. Authorities said the initiative aimed to both educate drivers and enforce provincial safety regulations.

According to a release from Burnaby RCMP, officers carried out 67 inspections, identifying 172 violations and issuing 117 tickets. A total of 35 commercial vehicles were placed out of service.

Inspectors documented several mechanical and safety issues, including a missing fuel cap replaced with a plastic sandwich bag secured by a charging cable, an improperly mounted fuel tank held by damaged straps, and defects affecting steering and braking systems. In one case, a trailer showed structural damage linked to repeated overloading.

Police said many of the violations were found on a single dump truck hauling a flat deck trailer with heavy equipment. The driver received six tickets totalling $1,215, and both the truck and trailer had their licence plates seized before being towed for mandatory inspection.

“There are many professional drivers and companies that follow road safety laws. This is clearly not one of them,” said Const. Kevin Connolly, a designated commercial vehicle inspector with Burnaby RCMP, in the release.

Ten agencies participated in the joint enforcement effort, including municipal police departments, RCMP units, and local bylaw and transportation officials.

Latest news

carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Rising FIFA World Cup ticket and hotel prices in Vancouver raising concerns for fans

Football fans hoping to attend FIFA World Cup matches in Vancouver are facing growing costs as ticket prices and hotel rates continue to climb ahead of the tournament. Reports indicate some match tickets are being listed for as much as $2,000. Accommodation costs in Vancouver have also become a concern for visitors planning trips to the city during the event. Experts say provincial restrictions on short-term rentals, along with annual licensing fee requirements, have reduced available accommodation options and contributed to higher hotel prices. Jarrett Vaughan, a professor at the University o
shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l

Related News