19.74°C Vancouver

Aug 7, 2021 12:34 AM -

COVID spike means more restrictions for B.C.'s Okanagan: top doctor

Share On
covid-spike-means-more-restrictions-for-b-c-s-okanagan-top-doctor
B.C.’s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry during a press briefing in Victoria. (Photo - B.C. Govt.)

British Columbia's COVID-19 infection rate keeps climbing, fuelled by the Delta variant and unvaccinated people in the Okanagan.

About 80 per cent of the new infections in the central Okanagan are of the Delta variant, prompting provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry to announce new restrictions on gatherings and bar and nightclub closures in that area.

BC reported 464 new cases today, more than half of which are in the Interior.

Dr. Henry says many of the cases are in those between the ages of 20 and 40 who haven't been vaccinated or who have had just one shot.

Almost 82 per cent of those 12 and older have had their first vaccination in BC, while nearly 69 per cent are fully vaccinated.

There have been no new deaths, but there are six outbreaks in long-term care homes, four of them in the Interior.

New measures are being imposed in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the central Okanagan.

Health officials say cases in that region have almost tripled since an outbreak of the Delta variant was declared last week with 1,200 cases today, including 700 active ones, up from 320 last week.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says new measures include the closure of nightclubs and bars, restrictions on the size of groups at restaurants and an end to high intensity, indoor physical activities, although low intensity programs can continue.

Mandatory use of masks will also continue and Henry says the restrictions are ``not where we wanted to be,'' but the highly infectious Delta variant is spreading rapidly and stepped up immunizations are not enough to regain control.

Latest news

IndiaAug 19, 2026

Farmers Suspend Protest at Punjab-Haryana Border, Meeting with Manohar Lal Set for September 4

Farmer organizations protesting at the Punjab-Haryana border on Wednesday announced the temporary suspension of their agitation. The decision came after Haryana authorities proposed a meeting with Union Minister Manohar Lal on September 4 to discuss the farmers’ demands. The protesting farmers had been sitting at the Khanauri–Data Singh Wala border point. On August 16, Haryana Police stopped a group of 51 farmers from proceeding towards Delhi. The farmers were undertaking a 228-kilometre-long “Kisan Bachao Padyatra” (Save Farmers March) to oppose the proposed India-U.S. trade agreement
AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain

Related News