21.89°C Vancouver

Apr 5, 2021 5:35 PM -

COVID-19 outbreak at Prince Rupert care home where 16 died earlier this year

Share On
covid-19-outbreak-at-prince-rupert-care-home-where-16-died-earlier-this-year
A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is given to a recipient at a vaccination site in Vancouver on Thursday, March 11, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

Just weeks after a deadly COVID-19 outbreak ended at a northwestern British Columbia care home, health officials report a new outbreak at the same facility.

Northern Health says two residents at Acropolis Manor in Prince Rupert have tested positive for the virus.

In a statement issued Sunday, the agency says the two residents live in the facility's west pod and proactive testing is underway to identify if any other residents, staff or families have been infected.

Sixteen residents died during a COVID-19 outbreak that began at Acropolis Manor in mid-January and was declared over on March 16.

Some of the highest rates of the virus in B.C. prompted health officials to hold mass vaccination clinics in Prince Rupert and Port Edward last month, immunizing about 85 per cent of area adults.

Recent data from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control shows infection rates dipped following those clinics and several others in north coast cities, but cases of COVID-19 remain stubbornly high through the region.

Latest news

the-sister-of-a-hit-and-run-victim-issues-a-video-plea-for-one-more-witness
BCAug 28, 2025

The sister of a hit-and-run victim issues a video plea for one more witness

On August 30, 2024, 24-year-old Buddy Rhodes’ body was found off to the side of the Coquihalla (Highway #5) near Exit 286 in Merritt, BC. The vehicle and driver that hit him have not been found. On the one-year anniversary of Rhodes’ death, BC Highway Patrol is releasing the victim’s name while his sister issues a video plea for a witness who could help further the investigation. View the video: Alix Legouffe talks about the impact that Buddy’s death has had on her family, and what they are hoping will happen next A collision reconstruction determined that Rhodes was likely hit while s
two-rcmp-officers-in-alberta-charged-with-breach-of-trust-says-watchdog-agency
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Two RCMP officers in Alberta charged with breach of trust, says watchdog agency

Alberta's police watchdog has charged a pair of RCMP officers from two northern detachments with breach of trust. The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, or ASIRT, says it was directed in mid-February last year to investigate two officers from the Morinville and Westlock detachments, located north of Edmonton. Watchdog officials say there are reasonable grounds to suggest an offence had been committed, but wouldn't comment further as the matter is before the courts. They say Sgt. Daniel Mayowski of Westlock and Sgt. Sheldon Robb of Morinville both were charged with breach of
CanadaAug 28, 2025

WSO raises concerns after appointment of Indian diplomats in Canada

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) is raising concerns following the announcement that Canada and India have appointed new high commissioners as part of a diplomatic reset. Canada has appointed Christopher Cooter, a veteran diplomat with 35 years of service, as its new High Commissioner to India, while India has named Dinesh K. Patnaik as its envoy to Canada. WSO is calling on the Government of Canada to provide clear assurances that newly appointed Indian diplomats will not have intelligence or police backgrounds, will not engage in espionage or criminal activity in Canada, and will
alberta-now-on-track-for-even-bigger-budget-deficit-now-at-6-5b
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Alberta now on track for even bigger budget deficit, now at $6.5B

The bad news for Alberta's oil-reliant budget is set to get worse. Finance Minister Nate Horner says softening oil prices mean this year's projected budget deficit is expected to grow by $1.3 billion, and will now finish at $6.5 billion in the red when the fiscal year ends next spring. That represents a massive multibillion-dollar swing in Alberta's financial fortunes, as it is coming off an $8.3-billion surplus the year prior. The government says uncertainty created by U.S. trade policy is hurting the Alberta economy and remains a significant risk going into the rest of the year.
BCAug 28, 2025

More child care spaces coming to schools throughout B.C.

Families in 12 communities throughout the province are benefiting from 640 new child care spaces on school grounds, expanding access to high-quality child care for young children, as well as before- and after-school care. “As the new school year begins, hundreds of new licensed child care spaces on school grounds will make a real difference for families as they figure out their routines for the new school year,” said Lisa Beare, B.C.’s Minister of Education and Child Care. “These spaces are the result of strong partnerships with school districts. Together, we’re supporting parents’

Related News